Voltage Problems

I need some help with this problem, if anything can even be done. I've got 1 1000/1 JL amp, 1 1000 watt Diamond amp, and 1 400 watt McIntosh amp all RMS of course. The JL is pushing 3 10" Diamond subs, the Diamond amp is pushing 4 10" Diamond subs and the McIntosh is pushing 14 mids and highs. I've got a 200 amp alternator, 2 Optima yellow top batteries and 2 Stinger 1 farad caps. Check it out here if you feel up to it: http://jhoward.carstereo.com Anyways, I still seem to be having voltage drops at idle even after doing the big3 and putting a smaller pulley on the ho alt. Any suggestions would be great. THANKS

you could have major ground problems, or one of the batts, could be going bad, and at worst your alt is on its way out? bad voltage regulator or something ... and smaller pully? under drive pully? i thought they made the items spin slower? lol i dunno just asking mainly about the pully

Americas loudest work van2006 iasca heavyweight bassboxing champion at 150.4 db with 60second average TL8 memphis PR15s,12 memphis PR6.5's coax,4 memphis PR 1inch tweets

The smaller pulley makes the the alt spin faster at idle to give you more amps. The batteries are only about 8 months old and the alt about the same. The thing with the ground is that I would think I would have problems at high rpms also, not sure though. Cool: do ya think those 2 caps would really make that much of a difference? Thanks for the quick response by the way.

caps help a little but you spend almost the same on a cap (100-125) when another optmia yellow top is only 175 and really does good vs just backs up for a ms. and has to recharge and then discharge again, sell both caps and get another yellow top and pocket a few dollars

Americas loudest work van2006 iasca heavyweight bassboxing champion at 150.4 db with 60second average TL8 memphis PR15s,12 memphis PR6.5's coax,4 memphis PR 1inch tweets

thats what i thought, isnt it to free up hp or something ? and not good for what we try to get out of our alts... to make more you would want a bigger pully so for every turn of the crank you get more turns out of the alt produceing more power

smaller pulley equals less rpm at the alt. and a ho alt is going to get its most output at 1500-2200rpm

Absolutely the ho alt is at its best at the 1500-2200rpm but the smaller pulley does not equal less rpm it's just the opposite. That's why a lot of people buy ho alts and think something is wrong with them when they come up to a stop sign and the lights dim. You switch out the larger pulley for a smaller one and that problem is solved (except in my case that is).

Archived