Trunk lid reinforcement

I've been using the excess resin from working on my enclosure to reinforce the trunk lid where the sub will be firing.

I already noticed an increase in SPL and SQ from doing this, the bass is already much punchier and its not completely done.

Once I put a little more on, Ill pull it off and hit it thick, then from there I can sand it and paint it. I will be also putting sound deadlining underneath.

Edited by purplesyrup
XS-power1.jpg

• 1 month later...

How much spl have you gained so far? I've gotta do something similar to my interior panel of m hatch. The port fires right at it and it's super flexible.

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon Pioneer 9400BH Fi Q 15, SAZ1500dV3

The first build>>> http://www.stevemead...-outback-build/

140.9 @ 36hz Sealed on dash!

REBUILT!!! 2 Fi Q 15s, 2 SAZ1500dv3 146.9 @ 39hz dBDRA certified

How much spl have you gained so far? I've gotta do something similar to my interior panel of m hatch. The port fires right at it and it's super flexible.

well, my whole build was changing as I did this so i do not know how much it gained, I did it while I had my old 15 was still in and can tell you that it definetly increases the punch of the bass drasticly, seemed to inprove the SQ. that is a big thick piece of carpet, it will absorbe a reasonable amount of sound,

as I was finishing it, I continued to add more resin, so its now rock solid. and I have a completely different setup now, amp and sub.

There is a thread somewhere where a guy gained .3 DB from simply removing the carpet off of his box, which can lead to other interesting subjects, but Im talking about the subwoofer box, hehe.

from reviewing many aspects of this forum, different methods of carpet removal or reinforcment seem to add more DEEBEEZ so thats why I did this. When im done I can go back, add bondo sand down and make it look how I want. its just been dangerously hot out so its slowed the process, the last event I went to I drank 104 oz's of water, 2 16 ounce gaterades and a large sweet tea from mcdonalds, the event was 5 hours long, and I did not have to pee once, it was like I was sweating it out as fast as i could drink it. thats hot

anything you can do to make something your woofer or port is firing at more rigid to where it wont flex or move, will only give you positive results.

Edited by purplesyrup
XS-power1.jpg

Yeah, I've gotta do something about my hatch. The problem Is it's just flimsy plastic, there isn't any carpet on it so I'm not sure how to stiffen it. I guess I should add fleece over it. What do you think?

thick fleece does the job quick and works well, after I put this small square on the largest surface area on this port, it went from a high pitched tapping noise when you knocked on it to a very low "thud" when tapping on it.

uses a lot of resin, but quicker than waiting to do 10 layers if fiberglass, i did a strength test on it and tried to chissle it off, no luck, the 1/4/ inch fleece and the pvc pipe had become one.

EDIT: its not letting post the pic for some reason

20120601135340.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by purplesyrup
XS-power1.jpg

Awesome!

Yeah I'm definitely interested in giving it a shot. If you can give me some pointers that would be great.