Sonic Electronix

hey guys, i have a pair of kicker CVR12's paired with a kenwood KAC-9105D.

At high bass volumes the amp just cuts out, and i end up with no bass until i lower it down...i need more power im pretty sure.

what can i safely push for wattage without damaging the subs, overloading my alternator and needing a new one, or breaking the bank.

about my car, its a 1999 BMW 528i, so its hard to get bass in there anyways, stock alternator, and for a 4 channel amp i have a sound-ordinance M-4075.

my headlights dim barely at the highest demands (havent noticed it too recently, but at one time i have seen it).

main concern is my subs, i dont want to blow them, and my alternator, i dont have the money for a new one.

i have found no information on my alternator even after a bit of research, but it is a 1999 BMW 528i, nothing too big for an engine, so cant be too powerful of an alternator...any way to tell for sure?

also, i have these exactly (but dont remember getting them that expensive, even on sale) http://www.crutchfie...124.html?tp=111

EDIT: i think its 120 amps

Edited by tortoracer

see how much your voltage is dipping

did you properly set the gains?

13 Kia Forte Build!

07 Hyundai Accent Build

***Super Seller***

N8ball2013

And then he gets to say ok all you guys were right. im sorry for being a dummy poo poo head.

ndjs.jpg

Hmmm.. You could pop the hood and look directly on your alternator and sometimes it actually just says how many amps it is..sometimes not. Generally, stock is usually 105 amps.. GENERALLY, sometimes less, sometimes more. For instance, my 1992 Buick Regal is 105, my dad's 04 Grand Prix GT is 125, and my 04 Pontiac Bonneville is 140 (because I have air ride suspension) So I'm gonna guess and say yours would be 125 or 105 because you said you lights have possibly dimmed before.. In my Buick I ran a 1200 watt Concept amp and a 480 Jensen amp..but at RMS output it was around 1000 and they dimmed a little when the bass really hit. You have dual 4 ohms, did you have them wired in parallel or anything of the sort?

oops a few posts, so most likely no looks at my edit

the alt. is 120 amps according to realoem.com (the oem parts site for bmw's)

not sure about voltage drop, but i think that the alt power is known so i dont need to check now? (i can if i need to)

gains set properly, but whether the gain is high or low on my subs' amp when they reach that special volume they cut out, this does point to volume, right?

if you look at the picture of the amp, it is a 1 channel, but it has 2 outputs (they are wired together internally im pretty sure), and i just hooked up the sub's to those...so yes wired parallel.

i do not have an extra battery in the back, nor any capacitators (useless?), nor the big 3 upgrade. i plan on selling the car somewhat soon (yearish) and removing everything and putting it in my next car.

although i do not have the big 3 upgrade, i have read from the alt to the battery is already 0 gauge wire....not sure if there is any more to that upgrade.

120 amps that fairly solid for a decent system like which you have. Here's what I would do man, wire the coils in parallel so then each sub is 2 ohm then run them into the amp and they will be paralleled again down to 1 ohm. Give me one minute and I will look into an amp for you :good: Also, what's your budget so I have a better idea man

Edited by Riley Evan Houser

i do not have an extra battery in the back, nor any capacitators (useless?), nor the big 3 upgrade. i plan on selling the car somewhat soon (yearish) and removing everything and putting it in my next car.

although i do not have the big 3 upgrade, i have read from the alt to the battery is already 0 gauge wire....not sure if there is any more to that upgrade.

Don't get caps man, they slowy out more and more strain on your alternator. Big 3 is what you need to do man, no doubt. It's totally worth it