Sundown Audio

HELP!!!! Amp started smoking!!!

SkateMike519

I tested the ground using a DMM. pos. to pos. on battery. neg. to grounded spot.

DMM was set to DC 20V.

Reading of 0. Shouldn't go any more then .2

2 - Sundown Audio SA-12 D4 (Box tuned to 34 hrz)

1 - RF t1500.1bdcp

1 - RF t400.4

2 - JL Audio C5 5 1/4 in front doors

2 - JL Audio C5 570 in rear deck

2 - JL Audio ZR100 in front pillars

1 - Kenwood ExCelon HU

I moved the ground to the rear seat belt bolt. Still smoked after about 2 mins of being on. DMM showed it was a good ground.

I was using the first and third terminals on the amp. Should I have used the outer terminals on the amp?

Also, *IF* the subs were wired incorrectly, could this have caused the problem? I just can't imagine this error would cause it to begin smoking after only a couple minutes.

It's only a truly good ground if you tested the resistance at the point of ground all the way back to the battery. Which is tough. Just because you get a 12v reading doesn't mean it's a good ground, I can get a 12v reading on my DMM touching the ground probe to any piece of metal in my car. I just took the time to do a lot of sanding and wiring using set screw terminals to terminate all my cables to ensure low resistance.

you dont measure how good a ground is by using volts. you use ohms. your ground should be dead near 0 ohms.

That's the point I was making, yes, resistance.

yeah i know, but you're talking about voltage. not impedance.

If you actually read my post you would see that I said getting a 12v reading is NOT the indication of a good ground. You would need to measure the RESISTANCE.

Here, let me give you an unedited quote of my own words with certain things highlighted for your convenience.

"It's only a truly good ground if you tested the resistance at the point of ground all the way back to the battery. Which is tough. Just because you get a 12v reading doesn't mean it's a good ground, I can get a 12v reading on my DMM touching the ground probe to any piece of metal in my car. I just took the time to do a lot of sanding and wiring using set screw terminals to terminate all my cables to ensure low resistance."

I'm gonna hate

I was able to test it from my rear battery.only a 3 foot stretch of the DMM wires.

1 - RF t1500.1bdcp

1 - RF t400.4

1 - Kenwood ExCelon HU

I was able to test it from my rear battery.only a 3 foot stretch of the DMM wires.

And what is your rear battery grounded to? You need all of your grounds to not suck, be sure of it. Also, you're not running your batteries in series are you?

I'm gonna hate

I have positive from front with inline 200a fuse going to the rear battery. Then the rear battery is grounded in the back.

1 - RF t1500.1bdcp

1 - RF t400.4

1 - Kenwood ExCelon HU

Archived