Sensitivity thoughts

As you all know, I run the EV ELX118P pro audio subs. Well, after some research, I've come to the conclusion that these subs could put out a little bit more to keep up with the top cabinets. (They are only rated to about 125dB max SPL, while the tops are 132dB). No T/S parameters available for the woofers (EVS-18K) I looked at the passive model (same woofer, no amp) and determined the woofer has a sensitivity of 96 dB 1W/1m. Took a look around, and found on PE, the B&C 18PS76, about the same power rating (600w cont 2400w peak), with a sensitivity of 99dB 1W/1m.

In a nutshell (throwing warranties and stuff out the window) would it be worth swapping the EVS woofer out for the B&C for a real noticeable difference? Being as there are no T/S param's out for the EVS woofers, and I'm trying to see if this would be an easier way to get a little more output out of these vs. another pair of 18's. Thoughts?

POTATO!

You should contact EV and request the T/S parameters. Make sure you have the very driver model #, not just the cabinet item #. If they can give you the specs and you have a qualified acoustic engineer design you a cabinet for your specific application, it would be almost guaranteed to outperform the 99dB/1w-1m subwoofer you refered to (in your current cabinet.....for your goal. There is likely to be A frequency at which the substitute driver might be more sensitive....but not over the entire intended bandwidth of the enclosure.

While efficiency is a nice number to look at, it isn't then hard line end all to picking a driver. While you may have good results swapping drivers, i would suggest looking at a detail comparison of the 2. Also keep in mind, if you are replacing a bad one, to replace them as pairs. This will save you the headache later ;)

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)