Sundown Audio

Quick Ohm Question

aquill1

i think it a 2

2003 Grand AM GTELECTRICAL SYSTEMAlternatorstockBatteryFront s3400back d3100Wireinglots of 0gaHEAD UNITpionner 7500xSPEAKERS(4)Prv 6mb200(2)prv 10mr1000AMPLIFIRLS(1)Zxi80.4(2)Brx1200.4SUBWOOFER(2) MTX 9500BOX3.41 cuft 63sq port 34hzLINKSYoutube.com/reggieb198895

Let's put it really simple. If your amplifier is rated SAFELY at a minimum of 2 ohms, then you don't go below that. 1.34 ohm is below 2 ohm. Don't go that low on a 2 ohm amp.

Done

And

Done

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

but....

As said before, box/impedance rise is killer, along with wire resistance and the size of wire you are running (bigger gauge = less resistance).

Are you getting your 1.34 ohms at the end of your speaker wire?

Or

Are you getting your 1.34 ohms at the coil?

Theres a big difference in the two, and the read at the coil will be significly lower.

You will want a 1 ohm stable amp for sure, but look for a amp that will produce high numbers at 2 ohms.

So if your subs are 1000 watts rms each and you got 2 subs, look for an amp that is 1 ohm stable. (ie: 3000wrms by 1 @ 1 ohm, 2000wrms by 1 @ 2 ohm, 1000wrms by 1 @ 4 ohm).

Then you will know that you are getting at least 2000 plus watts rms out of your amp. I say 2000 plus because you are not running exactly at 2 ohm (you are under, which will create more power).

Edited by audiofanaticz

Of course Audiofanaticz, more power is good power. We all love power. We never love amps going bang.

From a purely safety point of view, I disagree with running power amplifiers below their rated minimum impedance. However, you are correct with box rise, cable rises etc. Is this load at the coil, or at the terminals? Also, is this DC resistance or impedance?

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

Of course Audiofanaticz, more power is good power. We all love power. We never love amps going bang.

From a purely safety point of view, I disagree with running power amplifiers below their rated minimum impedance.

Never said nothing about running amps below their rated ohm loads.. I agree with you on that (but their are amps that can handle daily abuse under their rated ohm load, but thats another story). And thats why I stated for him to find a amp that is 1 ohm stable, but makes a decent power at 2 ohms.

Ah, I misread your post. I see we are on the same side. My mistake, I apologise.

Still, for the original poster, is 1.34 ohms the reading at the coil or at the terminal? Is this IMpedance or DC resistance?

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320