Second Skin Audio

A few general questions about building a wall

I built my first ever enclosure about 2 months ago, for a single 15" tuned to about 31hz or so. Shit pounds like mad. But obviouslly as a basshead i need MOAR BASS! So i've decided to build a wall. Im buying my old Volkswagen Golf Mk3 back from a friend and selling my car, main reason is because my Golf was beautiful, second reason is to swap from 5 door to 3 door, i think a wall in a 3 door is a better idea then a 5.

My plan is 4 15" 's in a wall directly behind the front seats, placed where the rear seats would go. But i need help with a few things....

Im building the box in the car, but how do i actually mount the box down onto the car? So its not going to tip or move at all.

Do i just glue the bottom wood for the box directly to the car? Or is there another way of doing it.

Its going to be subs forward port forward, with 3 common walls (top, bottem and side, so i think that means 3 common walls?) but is there any benefit to a specific side the port needs to go on? Or is driver and passenger side exactly the same?

I've seen a few people do two layers of wood on the side of the box where the subs go, im not sure what this is called, but does this help strengthen the box and spread the weight of the subs? Would this be something i should do?

I want to spray the box black, but if im building it in the car is there any tip or trick to spraying the box without getting it all over the inside of the car?

The box is going to be a basic rectangle/square shape, so what do people do to fill the space between the box and the rear windows? So that if people look from the inside of the car to the back they cant see into the rear of the car?

And lastly i need to know how to build the box so it wont just fall apart when the subs are in from the weight, do i need to put wooden "pillars" on the inside from top to bottom to strengthen the box?

I know i have a lot of questions but id rather ask everything i need to, rather then do it and have a shed of a wall.

If anyone can answer even one question it would be a great help, and also does anyone have a link handy to a build of a wall in a car that shows in a fair ammount of detail how the box is actually built and strengthened ect?

I built my first ever enclosure about 2 months ago, for a single 15" tuned to about 31hz or so. Shit pounds like mad. But obviouslly as a basshead i need MOAR BASS! So i've decided to build a wall. Im buying my old Volkswagen Golf Mk3 back from a friend and selling my car, main reason is because my Golf was beautiful, second reason is to swap from 5 door to 3 door, i think a wall in a 3 door is a better idea then a 5.

My plan is 4 15" 's in a wall directly behind the front seats, placed where the rear seats would go. But i need help with a few things....

Im building the box in the car, but how do i actually mount the box down onto the car? So its not going to tip or move at all.

Do i just glue the bottom wood for the box directly to the car? Or is there another way of doing it.

Its going to be subs forward port forward, with 3 common walls (top, bottem and side, so i think that means 3 common walls?) but is there any benefit to a specific side the port needs to go on? Or is driver and passenger side exactly the same?

I've seen a few people do two layers of wood on the side of the box where the subs go, im not sure what this is called, but does this help strengthen the box and spread the weight of the subs? Would this be something i should do?

I want to spray the box black, but if im building it in the car is there any tip or trick to spraying the box without getting it all over the inside of the car?

The box is going to be a basic rectangle/square shape, so what do people do to fill the space between the box and the rear windows? So that if people look from the inside of the car to the back they cant see into the rear of the car?

And lastly i need to know how to build the box so it wont just fall apart when the subs are in from the weight, do i need to put wooden "pillars" on the inside from top to bottom to strengthen the box?

I know i have a lot of questions but id rather ask everything i need to, rather then do it and have a shed of a wall.

If anyone can answer even one question it would be a great help, and also does anyone have a link handy to a build of a wall in a car that shows in a fair ammount of detail how the box is actually built and strengthened ect?

bolt the box to the car on the thru the bottom of the wall

i would do drivers side port if you can if not on the top center.

where the subs mount is the baffle i would do at least 2 layers, i would do the whole thing in two layers if not you are going to want to fiberglass and brace it good or it will be flexing good.

if your gonna paint it just use a brush or roller or it will probally get all over your car.

the easy way to seal the wall to the car is with expanding spray foam.

tbh though it seems like you are getting way over your head.

check out my build log in my sig i took a good bit of pictures along the way building my wall.

2 fi btl 18s on 2 crescendo 3500s walled in a 2dr 2000 alero build log

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141663-2-walled-btls-18-on-7k-in-a-2000-2dr-alero/

and the "pillars" you speak of would be bracing which can be all thread, dowel rod, 2x4s, "window bracing" using sheets of wood hollowed out.

do alot more research and look at a lot of build logs before you undertake this project it is a lot more work than you are probably thinking.

2 fi btl 18s on 2 crescendo 3500s walled in a 2dr 2000 alero build log

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141663-2-walled-btls-18-on-7k-in-a-2000-2dr-alero/

I was thinking that the box might need to be bolted in, but might be a bit of a bitch to do it in my car as directly under my rear seats is my fuel tank.

Seal it with expanding foam? Never used it before but I assume that it will stick like a bitch to my car and be hard to get off?

Will definitely have a look at your build log, and some others too. Even if it is harder then I thought then that's fine, I will just take a little bit more time finding out everything I need to, plus it's doing something I love anyway so I'm not too fussed.

My car should be able to handle it, stiff suspension should be able to take it. I'll test it though, I'll fill the back of my car up with as much heavy shit as I can.

When i walled my truck.. I screwed the 2x4s and PL glued them right to the truck itsself... So there are no gaps anywhere and my "shell" is built veryyyyy strong.. But i can still swap baffles if need be

One good tip.. Build it solid.. All my walls are about 3" thick

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole