Hey guys, I have a 2002 ford explorer V8 with what Im pretty sure is a flowmaster 40 series muffler. The only reason I'm not 100 percent sure is that my friend gave me it off a mustang he bought and replaced it with a new one. Anyway its been awesome, perfect sound, very loud and exactly what I was looking for but (now this is where it gets really stupid) I was turning around in a parking spot between two curbs and I didn't realize how close they were so I got pretty much wedged between them so I figured I would drive over the curb because I thought I had enough clearance...

Well I misjudged how high the curb actually was and when the car came back down it slammed onto the muffler. I should have never gone over the curb but I was literally wedged in between two of them because of the way the guy was parked next to me. So its my dumb mistake but now I have this terrible rattle coming from the muffler, it sounds like a rattle can. Its the worst when the car has just been started up and it goes away after I drive a little.

I got under the car as I started it and nothing seems to be moving or broken/loose I cant figure it out, could I have damaged something inside the muffler itself? Its extremely annoying, any tips on how to diagnose where its coming from?

2002 Ford Explorer XLT

Front Stage: Crescendo CCX 6.5's

Rear Stage: ???

Two 15" Powerbass M154

Audiopipe AP15001d

Pioneer DEH-P5100UB

maybe the internal baffles broke off

I mean, it did slam down decently hard but nothing looks bent or dented, the welds are still perfectly intact. Its killing me because its so loud! haha

2002 Ford Explorer XLT

Two 15" Powerbass M154

Audiopipe AP15001d

Pioneer DEH-P5100UB

damn. well that cant be good. I appreciate your help, I wish there was a way I could get inside it and see what's up.

EDIT: The only thing thats throwing me off is the the sound doesn't sound like its coming from the muffler itself, its extremely hard to pinpoint

2002 Ford Explorer XLT

Two 15" Powerbass M154

Audiopipe AP15001d

Pioneer DEH-P5100UB

whoaaa, didn't know the inside of a muffler looked like that, that's pretty coool and PITA at the same time :/

time for a new exhaust :( I know the feeling too

Yeah thats what I didnt wanna hear haha. Any recommendations?

2002 Ford Explorer XLT

Two 15" Powerbass M154

Audiopipe AP15001d

Pioneer DEH-P5100UB

take it to a shop unless you have a lift at hand to DIY, I don't like doing anything with performance unless it's easy. Good luck to you, I recently broke my timing belt and it was a bitch to pinpoint exactly what the problem was :( find a place that won't charge you up the ass. I suggest contacting your dealership if you got it at a dealership and asking where they get there work done. that was the deal for me because we got our cars from a local family owned dealership who had their cars done at a local family owned garage too lol. they gave us good deals because we got our car from that dealership

take it to a shop unless you have a lift at hand to DIY, I don't like doing anything with performance unless it's easy. Good luck to you, I recently broke my timing belt and it was a bitch to pinpoint exactly what the problem was :( find a place that won't charge you up the ass. I suggest contacting your dealership if you got it at a dealership and asking where they get there work done. that was the deal for me because we got our cars from a local family owned dealership who had their cars done at a local family owned garage too lol. they gave us good deals because we got our car from that dealership

Yup, my timing chain came loose last year and starting literally cutting into my engine block like a chain saw, it was a massive job for the mechanics. My uncle owns a shop so I usually get all my stuff done there but he doesnt do exhausts, go figure.

just jack up the car and start hitting the pipe and muffler gently till you hear where the rattle is coming from. you can even wiggle too

I think I may try this first, maybe I smashed a heat shield? I've always heard of those causing rattle.

2002 Ford Explorer XLT

Two 15" Powerbass M154

Audiopipe AP15001d

Pioneer DEH-P5100UB

Archived