HELP!! Lost spark after adding 2nd Alternator

So... I'm trying to make it to Scrapin' the Coast with my second alternator hooked up.

89 Chevy Astro

2 CS-130 Alternators (both rebuilt with identical kits)

Both harnesses from the alts are identical, I just spliced them together- wired parallel.

I got the A/C pulled out, new bracket fabbed up and the second alternator in. Got everything wired up, belt on and fired her up- it ran as usual for about 30 seconds at 14.5-14.6 volts (nothing out of the ordinary for a cold start). After running for a few seconds I revved it up once or twice to see what the voltage would do and it stayed the same. Once it dropped back to idle, it ran for about 10 seconds and died. I tried to crank it back up but no dice.

I can hear the fuel pump come on when I turn the key.

I've checked the fuses (audio charging side as well as the ones under the dash)

I've checked the connections on the coil pack and the distributor.

I've pulled the power from the battery and let it sit for 10 minutes.

Still... no dice.

When I pull a plug wire from the distributor (plug or main spark wire from the coil) I get nothing. No fire at all. I hope I haven't fried my ECM. I do have a spare that I can try, but I don't want to try to fry that one if that is what is going on. The coil pack is virtually brand new. Maybe 10 months or so.

Anyone with any experience or Ideas? I need Help!

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

I wouldn't worry about the ECM. The distributor was a terriible invention. They fail way to often. There's usually an easy way to diagnose them with just a dmm. Check for infinite resistance on the coilpacks to see if they're burnt.

2015 Subaru Outback. That is all, I refuse to touch it.

Cool- I will check that first tomorrow. Coil pack is easy... it is just that it happened right after putting in the 2nd alt.

Thanks for the help brother.

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

COIL PACK!!!!

Pulled off the $$ MSD Performance coil and put in the 23 Year Old original coil... and vroom. Fired right up.

Thanks again Zapanater, you were spot on man!

Edited by Colin - STAPUFT

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

COIL PACK!!!!

Pulled off the $$ MSD Performance coil and put in the 23 Year Old original coil... and vroom. Fired right up.

haha it always baffles me how OEM parts tend to be way fucking better than expensive aftermarket parts

COIL PACK!!!!

haha it always baffles me how OEM parts tend to be way fucking better than expensive aftermarket parts

Seriously. I mean how??

Crazy thing is that it seems to run even smoother now. It had a tiny studder every once in a while with the MSD, but now with old OEM reliable- smooth as glass. Go figure.

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

distributors are not stupid... take it back, if you dont maintain them they die yes otherwise they are fantastic.

chevrolet all day er day.

'81 camaro z28 performance

'03 silverado ext cab show and go

I wouldn't worry about the ECM. The distributor was a terriible invention. They fail way to often. There's usually an easy way to diagnose them with just a dmm. Check for infinite resistance on the coilpacks to see if they're burnt.

No problem bro! Glad to hear it was an easy fix.

distributors are not stupid... take it back, if you dont maintain them they die yes otherwise they are fantastic.

Eh they're terribly flawed in that they are so unreliable. Zero new cars use them for good reason. Not reliable for the average Joe. Ive replaced them on every Probe Ive owned, shortly after I bought 'em. I agree, if you take them apart, scrape off corrosion, and beef up the factory seal on them they do alright. Average Joe doesn't wanna do that.

Edited by Zapanater

its not that they arent reliable its that coil packs are more efficient as the spark is provided almost instantly instead of having to travel through plug wires which if they arent maintained can crack and lessen spark, coil packs never have that problem.

chevrolet all day er day.

'81 camaro z28 performance

'03 silverado ext cab show and go

Yes and no. The rotor in a disty is very prone to failure. Moving parts always are. The less moving, the better. Especially when water gets in them. Which it always seems to do. At least to my particular model haha. But yes coilpacks are much better. My dad has a Bonneville with the 3800. 200,000 miles never had to replace the coilpacks.