Why are my lights dimming?

Your HU and interior lights should be running off of your fuse block. Everything is dimming so the whole voltage to your fuseblock is dipping.

I'm suspecting thin wiring to the HU.

Try adding MUCH thicker wiring to the HU and/or fuseblock (power at least / ground too if possible) and see what happens.

If you're connecting through your factory wiring then that might be it.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Your HU and interior lights should be running off of your fuse block. Everything is dimming so the whole voltage to your fuseblock is dipping.

Try adding MUCH thicker wiring to the HU and/or fuseblock (power at least / ground too if possible) and see what happens.

I understand what you're saying, but how would the head unit relate the the lights dimming? I haven't seen any problems in the system yet because I don't think the fluctuation is noticable yet through the speakers. I didn't see this problem before it went into the shop... I will call them on monday when they are open

I understand what you're saying, but how would the head unit relate the the lights dimming? I haven't seen any problems in the system yet because I don't think the fluctuation is noticable yet through the speakers. I didn't see this problem before it went into the shop... I will call them on monday when they are open

You added an aftermarket HU and light dimming resulted...?

An aftermartket HU will have a much bigger amp internal than factory.

Therefore it will draw more power from the fuseblock.

If the factory wiring is aimed at factory then it will probably be smaller than necessary.

Correct me if I'm off but is sounds feasible.

You may not notice the fluctuation through the speakers because there isn't enough power to cause noticeable distortion at the moment but there is enough to cause visual effects through the lights.

2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

If the factory wiring is aimed at factory then it will probably be smaller than necessary.

You may not notice the fluctuation through the speakers because there isn't enough power to cause noticeable distortion at the moment but there is enough to cause visual effects through the lights.

No, I've had the head unit and speakers installed in the car for almost a year now on this is the first I've seen the problem. When I had my 500 watt sub amp amp installed too (pre-timing belt replacement) It wasn't seeing this problem. It wasn't until the battery had died 2 times and it had gone into the shop for work that I saw this problem. But I get what you're saying, I'm just not convinced that that's the problem, seeing as I have had the head unit and speakers for a year and haven't had a problem like this. I'll give this a shot though, I never really thought about the size of the wiring harness wires being a problem but I guess it can be an issue

No, I've had the head unit and speakers installed in the car for almost a year now on this is the first I've seen the problem. When I had my 500 watt sub amp amp installed too (pre-timing belt replacement) It wasn't seeing this problem. It wasn't until the battery had died 2 times and it had gone into the shop for work that I saw this problem. But I get what you're saying, I'm just not convinced that that's the problem, seeing as I have had the head unit and speakers for a year and haven't had a problem like this. I'll give this a shot though, I never really thought about the size of the wiring harness wires being a problem but I guess it can be an issue

Ahh well if you've had the HU installed with no issues than that probably isn't it.

I had another look at the video. So the lights dim/pulse as the engine is rev'd and not necessarily with music...right?

Have a DMM? If so what's the voltage look like at idle and then what does it do as you rev up the rpms?

May be a flaky alternator.

2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

SOTM BUILD:

I'm thinking alt is taking a dump. I was going to ask if you're running all accessories(since it IS summer). An A/C compressor can draw pretty hard from the power with belt drag.

no accessories. I usually just drive with the window down at all times lol. I'll look into it. it might be time for a HO alternator!!!

Ahh well if you've had the HU installed with no issues than that probably isn't it.

I had another look at the video. So the lights dim/pulse as the engine is rev'd and not necessarily with music...right?

Have a DMM? If so what's the voltage look like at idle and then what does it do as you rev up the rpms?

May be a flaky alternator.

I'll give that a try now actually and get back to you

Yep...bad alternator.

Should be pretty damn stable at 14.4 or at least 13.8 especially without any equipment drawing you down.

Edit: Before you dive off and spend $ on a new alt, check all your connections first and look for corrosion just in case.

Edited by Wicks

2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

SOTM BUILD:

OP word of advice. IF you decide to run a mechman pay the 75 bucks extra for the adjustable voltage version lol i didnt get it on my first H/O alt (irraggi) and i i hated it. now i have my mech man and i amp alot happier. stable voltage

2002 ford focus hatch

pioneer DEH-P8400bh

infinity kappa 6.5 components front and rear

XS Power D1200

Shuriken BT-100

audioque 120.4

2 15 inch audioque HDC3 D2

2 audioque 2200d

big 3

mechman 220a alt with external regulator

479-418-3056