Second Skin Audio

Voice coil going bad?

Same thing happend to my RE Sxx the other day to some Tech n9ne haha go figure. strange music FTMFW. sending it in tomorrow for warranty. Might sell it and go to fi or sundown or AQ, good woofer just idk shouldn't be getting as hot as it was off my brz 1200.1

:)

OP check coil resistance, report abnormalities.

dmm the sub and if it reads the right ohms, it is not "Bad".

not to thread jack , but say you have a sub and you can see the voice coil is black as nite, but it reads good on the ohms , should a guy be leery of said sub ?

Same thing happend to my RE Sxx the other day to some Tech n9ne haha go figure. strange music FTMFW. sending it in tomorrow for warranty. Might sell it and go to fi or sundown or AQ, good woofer just idk shouldn't be getting as hot as it was off my brz 1200.1

:)

OP check coil resistance, report abnormalities.

dmm the sub and if it reads the right ohms, it is not "Bad".

not to thread jack , but say you have a sub and you can see the voice coil is black as nite, but it reads good on the ohms , should a guy be leery of said sub ?

the black color is just from a chemical reaction that takes place when electricity passes through the coil i think.. it's a residue from the oxygen mixing with the chemicals in the voice coil when they get heated.. as long as the voice coil seems in tact other than the color, I think it's fine (I'm not the most educated person on the subject, perhaps you could open a thread to get a more professional answer...)

I found the answer to my question in this thread as I took apart the sub... it was actually a very unnoticeable tear in the spider that I couldn't see until I actually took the sub apart.. thanks to everyone for your input though~

it was actually a very unnoticeable tear in the spider that I couldn't see until I actually took the sub apart..

thats wierd man not sure how that would happen

i checked mine and the coil appears to be fine its not black, unless i just cant see it. The spider looked okay. The noise was more noticable on the higher frequencies too or like many slurred notes up and down quickly. My ohm lvl is fine. But what is weird is that i hooked up my previous RE SE-X which is 600 rms to my same gains of 1100ish rms and it handles it pretty well lol i turned it down to be safe. yet my SXX (1000 rms)is givin me problems. :(

Sendin it in for warranty

02 Ford Focus ZX3 hatch

4-Infinity Kappa 682.9cf's

DC Lvl 4

Hifonics BRZ 1200.1 @ 1 ohm

Kicker Wires

Rockford RCAs

Future Upgrades

Knu 1/0

XS Power D1200

80 mil audiotechnix B stock

think the black color is indicative that some one has overpowered or clipped the shit out the sub and got lucky it didn't fail

Not completely true, some voice coils are petty damn dark straight out the shop. Doesn't mean its been clipped.

i shook this one kids hand and it just folded in mine. long story short i fucked his girlfriendso.. yeah..

You want this to happen to you? Give decent handshakes people.

I was gifted with an innate ability to distribute wholesale ass beatings in a timely and orderly fashion.

In an email from Sundown I was told they tested the SA to the point that smoke was coming off the sub and coming out the box. The voicecoil still checked out fine and OHM reading was identical. Just because you get em a lil hot or there is some discoloration doenst mean they are blown instantly.

Maybe you were clipping the shit outta it.....

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

that don't suprise me that some vc's are darker colored brand new , the sub i had in question was one i purchased off ebay , i had 2 of them already and the vc's on the 2 i have are nice and shiny copper looking , but the vc on sub i bought off ebay is black . i didn't clip the shit outta nothin here

that don't suprise me that some vc's are darker colored brand new , the sub i had in question was one i purchased off ebay , i had 2 of them already and the vc's on the 2 i have are nice and shiny copper looking , but the vc on sub i bought off ebay is black . i didn't clip the shit outta nothin here

I didnt quote you?? LOL

But the guy who complained it shouldnt be getting that hot on his 1200watts. You could put a 1000wrms sub on 1200watts thats clipped and have it get hot or 600wrms sub on 1200+ clean watts and be fine. Its all about the clean power lolz Even if you went to Sundown or AQ if you clip em they will get hot.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.