Sundown Audio

Line Driver

bassprodigy

a friend of mine told me that installing a line driver would help my amp get more volts.......... good idea, or no?????

2003 Toyota Sequoia

Pioneer 4100dvd

Memphis PR6.5 3ways in all four doors

Memphis PR 15s (4)

Memphis PR 1.1000 (2)

Memphis PR 4.50 (1)

Optima Yellowtop (2)

Viper 5901

8000k H.I.D. kit

15% tint (2layers)

A line driver will boost your signal comming from your headunit, resulting in having a lower gain setting on the amp.

Your stereo will not be louder. But you will have to set your gain lower on the amp, but your amp will not draw more/less power, and your amp will not be any less/more effiecent.

Only time you really benifet from a line driver is when you are running multiple amps off one preamp output with many Y splitters, because each time your split your rca cable into two, your signal decreases. Or when you have either a real cheap or old headunit with something like 1 volt preamp outputs, but even then you usally have enough room to adjust your gain since most gains are adjustable from 0.2 volts too 6volts.

Example: if your headunit preamp output voltage is 0.2 volts, and your gain on your amp can be adjusted from 0.2-6volts, you will need to turn your gain all the way up for the amp to produce the rms power.

Running your gain higher then what is needed will result in clipping your amp and eventully frying your sub(s) and maybe your amp(s). With line drivers, it is very easy to generate to much input voltage and fry your amp.

If your looking for a way to clean up your sound and give it a extra kick, try some sort of a eq or processor. Such as a rockford fosgate 360 or 360.2.

Also look over this thread a bit. I went into more detail with line drivers.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...showtopic=11831

I also have a audiocontrol overdrive linedriver for sale if your heart is set on a line driver. Make an offer on it (plus shipping, my zip code is 53083), it works fine, came with my car and noticed no change with or without it installed. I think they sell for around $75-100 new and msrp is $119.

Here are some pics. There is only 1 noticeable blemish on the case on the left side above the audiocontrol name.

DCAO0391.jpg

DCAO0386.jpg

PIC_0018.jpg

PIC_0019.jpg

PIC_0020.jpg

Archived