Sonic Electronix

Went looking, they didn't have anything appropriate I don't think. The hole itself is 4.5" and the ID of the tube is 4" Problem is the parts express port will cost me $53.46 with shipping.

I don't think I will be purchasing that one.

Why does Canada always get screwed?

you've got 12 square inches of port total,

for that box/woofers you want at least 27 square inches of port.

in my experience, tuning a smaller box at 30 hz cannot be done correctly with anything shorter than 24" of port length (in general) ,. i didn't even need to do to the math to tell you that 9" of length giving 30 hz was ENTIRELY too small.

Could the port be extended outside of the box? or does it have to remain internal? If I could extend it externally I could do some creative stuff with it.

Would polyfill do anything in terms slowing the air down?

I'm also toying with the idea of just sealing the box. I think it's pretty well glued at the seams, the carpeting sucks (used box) but not terrible, so I may just need to seal up the plugs on the rear, and cover the existing port hole up.

Edited by GRNDPNDR

The box is tunes approx 30 Hz, definitely the port area is way too small as also stated above. The reason I suggest the same dia. aero port is it would not change the tuning of the box ( which you like) and will reduce some of the port noise and keep everything else the same.

A cheaper alternative to the aero ports would be to use the pvc or abs pice and heat the end to flare it.

The ideal way is to consider building a box to suit those subs, might be cheaper than you think.

Edited by Sonic

cheaper maybe, but it's too much hassle trying to haul a sheet of MDF around (doesn't fit in my car) then doing all the measuring, cutting, screwing, gluing etc. Especially when I don't have the most accurate of cutting tools.

it's more of a hassle than I wanted to deal with or had time for right now, and this box isn't terrible.

you've got 12 square inches of port total,

for that box/woofers you want at least 27 square inches of port.

in my experience, tuning a smaller box at 30 hz cannot be done correctly with anything shorter than 24" of port length (in general) ,. i didn't even need to do to the math to tell you that 9" of length giving 30 hz was ENTIRELY too small.

Could the port be extended outside of the box? or does it have to remain internal? If I could extend it externally I could do some creative stuff with it.

Would polyfill do anything in terms slowing the air down?

I'm also toying with the idea of just sealing the box. I think it's pretty well glued at the seams, the carpeting sucks (used box) but not terrible, so I may just need to seal up the plugs on the rear, and cover the existing port hole up.

Yes the port can extend outside of the box as far as you want, just gotta keep in mind where it's exiting can potentially cause phase problems.

with that in mind, as ugly as it might be, 2 4" aeros would be right up your alley, using elbows to bend them to fit in the area, running them external to keep from eating even more airspace inside the box.....

or just build a new box so it's right from the start.

cheaper maybe, but it's too much hassle trying to haul a sheet of MDF around (doesn't fit in my car) then doing all the measuring, cutting, screwing, gluing etc. Especially when I don't have the most accurate of cutting tools.

it's more of a hassle than I wanted to deal with or had time for right now, and this box isn't terrible.

You know most lumber places will cut the wood up for you with a panel saw right? then all you have to worry about is glue, screws, and holes.

You know most lumber places will cut the wood up for you with a panel saw right? then all you have to worry about is glue, screws, and holes.

Yes, but they don't make angled cuts and this box is wedge shaped (sort of). I can't fit a square box in my trunk because 1) I have a suspension brace that runs from shock tower to shock tower, 2) the amp is mounted under that brace, which is also under the box, and the box's shape allows the box to sit up on top of the brace which is also what it's bolted to.

Because of the orientation and shape of the box, with it mounted to the brace it sits nicely under the rear deck and the front of the box is 90 degrees to the trunk floor.

I'm not entirely sure if my trunk leaks, I've found water in the tire well and the carpeting was moist underneath when I was drilling. But I have been unable to identify if/where there may be a leak. The amp is sitting up off the trunk floor by rubber feet and the box sits under the rear deck enough that water wouldn't be dripping on it. I also have a rubber mat under the one edge that does sit on the carpet.

Yes the port can extend outside of the box as far as you want, just gotta keep in mind where it's exiting can potentially cause phase problems.

with that in mind, as ugly as it might be, 2 4" aeros would be right up your alley, using elbows to bend them to fit in the area, running them external to keep from eating even more airspace inside the box.....

or just build a new box so it's right from the start.

I wouldn't have anywhere to stick a second port except the sides of the box. the port on this one is on the front.

I'll try and get some pictures.