Stupid question!

So.. I need to check to see if ALL my alts work.. If i unhook pos leads to alt, should i have 14+v at the alt even with wires off it?

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

So.. I need to check to see if ALL my alts work.. If i unhook pos leads to alt, should i have 14+v at the alt even with wires off it?

get your car running , disconnect the battery , if the car stalls when you disconnect the batt the alt is not charging .

an alternator cannot start producing a charge with out a charge to excite the windings and get the alternator started .

if you are uncomfortable with disconnecting the batt while the car is running , you could take your alt to an auto parts store to have it tested .

get your car running , disconnect the battery , if the car stalls when you disconnect the batt the alt is not charging .

an alternator cannot start producing a charge with out a charge to excite the windings and get the alternator started .

if you are uncomfortable with disconnecting the batt while the car is running , you could take your alt to an auto parts store to have it tested .

He has multiple alts. I think disconnecting each alt one at a time at the batt and checking for voltage will work. You might be able to just throw a clamp meter on each positive while it's connected also, but i'm not sure about that one.

edit. what i am saying is, yes.

Thanks for the..help but for one... I have 3 alts.. And 10 batts i think i know what im doing in that department..

What im asking is if my alts "on" do i need a pos lead off it to a battery for it to work

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

you shouldn't need to be coupled to a batt once the alt is running

i am not too sure as how extensively a parts store can test a high output alt

called my local o'riellys and it sounds like a no-go for testing . asked them about testing a 400 amp alt the guy was like well first we would need a part number to enter into the test machine to set up the test .

so i stand corrected .

Canada,

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/23792-why-your-local-autoparts-store-cant-test-your-alt-properly/

your local autoparts store cannot test your alt properly.

let me know if you need anything mang...

:ninja:

When your at the top everyone is coming for you, friends, family, haters and even those who don't know you.. my advice.. KILL EM ALL

Archived