Sonic Electronix

BMW Harmon Kardon Aftermarket Install Tips?

my buddy just got an 02 bmw 330ci with the harmon kardon stereo. no navi.

he wants to replace the speakers in the doors and the rear deck, and for now leave the stock subs in the rear deck alone. the front doors are components. anything we can use to get aftermarket tweeters to fit in the stock location? there are two tweeters on the side panels of the car also, where the rear passengers sit.

what would i need aside from a dash kit to make it work? he would like to keep stock steering wheel controls also.

he hasnt decided yet if he wants to use headunit power or an external amplifier.

any tips would be great. we're trying to get as much info as possible.

Edited by Kranny

Harness

Antenna adapter

Dash kit

Look up focal for speaker replacement.

They just came out with a diy spkr kit.

Kinda cool for you guys that like to diy.

As for the wheel controls

Needs a metra aswc for that car i believe.

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

i would need the harness that has the LOC on it, right?

i cant really find much on that DIY kit from focal, and those 3 way plug and play replacement are hella expensive, but i'll see what he wants.

he has 2 ways in the doors though, not 3 ways

edit: for reference, the door tweeters are directly next to the door handles

Edited by Kranny

You go high level into the amp.

And yes the plug and play kits.

They are sweet

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

my buddy just got an 02 bmw 330ci with the harmon kardon stereo. no navi. he wants to replace the speakers in the doors and the rear deck, and for now leave the stock subs in the rear deck alone. the front doors are components. anything we can use to get aftermarket tweeters to fit in the stock location? there are two tweeters on the side panels of the car also, where the rear passengers sit. what would i need aside from a dash kit to make it work? he would like to keep stock steering wheel controls also. he hasnt decided yet if he wants to use headunit power or an external amplifier. any tips would be great. we're trying to get as much info as possible.

Check out my build log, my M3 is very similar but I had NAV:

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-dc-audio-kenwood-mechman-hertz-fosgate-xp3000-build-delayfml/page__fromsearch__1

I used Hertz HSK130's which are a little pricey, but the tweeters came with a handy bracket that fit the stock location great.

I found a very handy mounting bracket from Crutchfield to mount the mid to my stock location. Cheap and easy.

I highly recommend the Metra ASWC that Ray mentioned. I used one and it was EASY! No programming at all (for my application).

Your single DIN shouldn't be too bad, my double DIN was a nightmare...

Keep in mind, from my research, Harmon Kardon HU's use differential (balanced) signals back to the rear amps. Make sure your LOC/amp equipment can handle balanced signals.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

ray the only focal plug and play stuff i can find is specifically made for the peugot 207. link to what you're talking about?

this is recommended from crutchfield for use with an external amplifier. im not too knowledgeable about the balanced inputs stuff

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127SOEM4/PAC-SOEM-4.html

i'd use this if no external amp is needed?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120709195/BMW-Receiver-Wire-Harness.html?tp=2977

and then these are the speaker mounts you're talking about wicks?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SABW525/BMW-Speaker-Mounting-Brackets.html?tp=2824