Clamping my alternator

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a Singer 250 amp alternator for my Pontiac G6. I have no doubt in my mind that it does or exceeds what i am told and what i paid for. I really just want my own satisfaction and to learn some new tricks. I currently have this clamp meter

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-digital-clamp-on-ammeter/p-03482372000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

Can i clamp the alternator with it ? I have tried it , played system close to full tilt, and voltage down to the 13.5s and still with the max hold set to on i only get a reading of 7 amps or so. I usually will have it in the 20 amp postion. Someone shed some light on my NOOBISH mistake,

thanks.

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee LaredoPioneer AVH- 3200DVD2/0 Flex-A-Prene Welding Cable

(2) Fully Loaded Fi Sp4's dual 1-------> My YouTube Channel <-------

Needs more power those woofers will laugh at that turd

Either use a large load tester to place a ~400 amp load on your electrical and clamp it that way

Or how I like to do mine (only if you have a large battery charger)

Turn your ignition on, turn on your lights, defroster, fog lights, head lights, and the blower to max and leave your car until the voltage goes to ~11-11.5v. Then start your car and quickly take the readings you need. dead-ish batteries will present a load to the alternator.

Then turn your car off and charge your batteries

If you are only getting a small positive reading through the clamp meter, flip it around so the wire will go front-back instead of back-front for example.

Edit: Just realized your clamp only does AC current. Looks like you are out of luck. See if you can find someone around you that has a DC clamp?

Edited by SnowDrifter

Alternators output DC current which is much more expensive to measure. Given an amps draw, it will be somewhat pulsed, but it is DC.

If possible you need a constant resistive load that can take a very high current.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

From what I see, that's only an AC clamp meter. Your alternator does DC power

OMG ! lolz your right, does the clamp meter need to say true rms though ??

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee LaredoPioneer AVH- 3200DVD2/0 Flex-A-Prene Welding Cable

Alternators output DC current which is much more expensive to measure. Given an amps draw, it will be somewhat pulsed, but it is DC.

If possible you need a constant resistive load that can take a very high current.

Soo i can use this meter orr what ?

Soo i can use this meter orr what ?

Not for clamping your alty ;)

I don't know about the quality, but this would be what you'd need to get instead of the one you currently have:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-digital-clamp-on-ammeter/p-03482369000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

1997 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab, 350 Vortec

Things to come at some point...

Build Log: http://www.stevemead...2200ds-133-ohm/

Thanks everyone for the quick responses, Found out my grandpa has one i will try tomorrow and see what happens!

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone for the quick responses, Found out my grandpa has one i will try tomorrow and see what happens!

Did you get a reading on your alt.?

Build Under Construction

Head Unit = Kenwood DDX514

Amps = Kicker 750.1, Going to install Sundown 1500D v3 and Sundown 125.4

Battery = XS D3400

Wires = Kicker RCA's, 0 Gauge street wire and Stinger

Mids and Highs = Stock

Sub= Kicker L7 12"

Alternator = 220 Mechman

Sound Deadner= Fatmat and Stinger Road Kill