Help making Hi/Low circuit

So a few years back I installed HIDs into my fathers 2000 Navigator. It has single bulbs that actually push out when you switch to the high beam and I have to buy a harness to make them work. Problem is the harness has gone out on him 3 times since installation. They have a lifetime warranty but it sucks because I have to ship the harness back each time and wait for them to ship me a new one....from CHINA! So it just cost to much in shipping and takes way to much time. So I figure that it should be pretty straight forward on building my own harness and use parts that are readily available ( 5 pin relays) this way if there is a problem it can be fixed very quick and cheaply.

So I will try to have all this make sense, so bare with me.

I pretty much have the circuit complete but I have one issue. His stock halogen bulbs have two filaments, high and low. When the low beam is on the high beam sees 0 volts and when the highs are on the low beam sees 0 volts. Now with the addition of the HID bulbs they do not work the same way. With the HIDs when you turn the lows on the bulb ignites, when you turn the highs on the bulb stays lit but the bulb actually pushes outward a little. So with the HIDs I need the high and low beam wires to see 12v. The circuit I have built now will successfully turn on the low beam but when you switch to highs the lights go out..but the bulb does push out like it should. I just need to find a way to push out the blub at the same time keep the bulb lit. But also when I turn the lows on I don't want the high side activated.

Here is my best rendition of what I have going on now. Like I said when I activate the headlights the low beam circuit works perfectly. And for that matter the high beam side does too but when I switch to high beams i need the low beam circuit to stay on. I don't necessarily need the low beam wire from the factory harness to see 12v but I need a way to activate the low beam side when the high side is turned on. Low beam side is the relay on the left, high is on the right. Could i just use a diode and connect pin 86 from both relays together. This way when the low side is on it wont automatically turn on the high beams but when I turn the highs on it should turn on the low beam side therefore keeping the bulb lit. Right.

HIDwiring.png

TeamDeadlyHertz-PUNKYOU007.png

d(-__-)b

beer sucks...but i can bring some jose cuervo. Only problem is that it makes me horny and gives me the rams. So unless yall wanna fight and then have some great make up sex i will leave it home.

There are mulitple ways to accomplish this. Here is one.

hidwiring.png

You could also pull from High Beam Factory wire to feed Low relay 86. Just use the diodes in the same place.

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

Yeah, I like this better:

hidwiring.png

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c

Build Log

Great that's what I was thinking too, I didn't think about the diode on the low beam wire. I guess that's so voltage wont back feed? Any suggestions on what type and size diode to use for this?

TeamDeadlyHertz-PUNKYOU007.png

d(-__-)b

beer sucks...but i can bring some jose cuervo. Only problem is that it makes me horny and gives me the rams. So unless yall wanna fight and then have some great make up sex i will leave it home.

The one on the low side isn't really neccessary but yeah, the idea was to keep the wire dead when the high beams are on. As far as what size diode...IDK...try whatever you have laying around and make it bigger if you have an issue. Shouldn't take much to just turn the relay on.

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c

Build Log

Archived