How to wire your second battery and AGM wired with Gel Batteries

You just upgraded your stereo and you are now seeing your lights dim. So you bought another battery!

So lets wire them up!

Here you have the positive attached to the positive and the negative attached directly to the negative. Your batteries are now in parallel. IF you do not have another run for the negative wire you have to ground the rear wire to the frame/strut/solid ground.

Also it is recommend to fuse both ends of the positive wire less than 18" from the battery, this is a precaution to protect your wire from shorting out and I EXTREMELY recommend fusing BOTH ends, not just the front battery.

2x-12Volt-Batteries-in-Parallel.gif

Gel/Flooded wired with AGM

Usually stock batteries are Gel/flooded batteries they rest at a different voltage from AGM batteries so when you wire two together the AGM battery will continuously "charge" the Gel battery until they get to equal voltage. Over time this can harm the AGM battery that is why people recommend running all AGM batteries.

The reason we (audio fanatics) use AGM batteries it primarily because they can be placed sideways/upside down if necessary and they are safe to put inside a car, plus there is no maintenance for such as adding water to the battery.

Hope this clears up some questions and please leave a comment for anything else I should add so this could be sticky worth :D

Edited by HunterJohnson

Scion tC SQ Build
iPad mini, lots of fabrication, daily driven
Ford Explorer C Pillar Wall Build

Just a cheap car to destroy with bass :D

good pic dude but i have a question. my uncle had two agm batteries in his Volkswagen (optima yellowtops) and at first everything was good but after a month or two his car wouldnt start both batts were dead. he thinks they were draining each other?? could this happen?

good pic dude but i have a question. my uncle had two agm batteries in his Volkswagen (optima yellowtops) and at first everything was good but after a month or two his car wouldnt start both batts were dead. he thinks they were draining each other?? could this happen?

I have never heard of two AGM batteries draining each other. Maybe one battery was dead and this caused the other one to try and charge it making both batteries dead. It could also be that your alternator stopped working

Edited by HunterJohnson

Scion tC SQ Build

im thinking one died and it drained the other. alternator works fine and after he charged the batts it started right up but the thing is it keeps doing it its really weird. but also the guy that did his install was an idiot so i wouldnt be surprised if he did something wrong lol

im thinking one died and it drained the other. alternator works fine and after he charged the batts it started right up but the thing is it keeps doing it its really weird. but also the guy that did his install was an idiot so i wouldnt be surprised if he did something wrong lol

I'd definitely get it checked out, it's nice that optimas have warranties but you can take the batteries to pep boys and get them checked out.

Scion tC SQ Build

might want to check all the connections.

i know corrosion can cause some parasitic loads on the batteries.

and of course bad ground and ruin them as well.