new to home audio. Receiver and amplifier suggestions?

What's up guys? I've been thinking a lot about doing some home audio and I've decided I'm definitely going to very soon. I've got an re sxx 12d4 laying around and 2 sets of 6x9's that are 75 rms a piece. My question is, what would be a good home amplifier for my sub that puts out 1000-1500 at 2 ohms? Also, any suggestions on a receiver that could do 75x4 at 4 ohms? Keep in mind that I am working on a budget so it doesn't have to be top of the line. Just something that will get me by and sound good. Thanks!

Audio Build

Ride: 2002 Chevy Blazer 4 door

Head Unit: Pioneer deh-80prs

Subs: 4 DC Level 3 15's in a 4th order wall designed by Trent Choate and Jeff Smith

Subs Amp: AQ 3500.1 at wired at .5 (soon to be 2)

Mids/Highs Amp: Skar 85.4

Mids/Highs: Skar components

Electrical: Mechman 270 amp alt, 2 runs of Knu 0 gauge, XS Power d3400, 2 Deka Group 9a31

Build log : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167658-indianabasshead-blazer-dc-audio-4th-order-wall-build/

Perfomance Build

2003 Nissan 350z

Greddy Twin Turbo, 3" Test pipes with Borla high-flow cats, Crawford Performance Plenum, Greddy E-manage Ultimate ECU

Exedy Racing Clutch, Built Motor by Racing Innovations

Greddy Over-fender aero kit (1 of 20 ever made), 19" Racing Hart r5 pro wheels
466rwhp

Bike

2008 Midnight Blue Kawasaki ZX-14

Stretched 8" and lowered, Brocks Sidewinder exhaust, Power Commander 5

you would want to look at pa and comercial amps for the kind of power you want for your sub , crown , berhinger , cerwin vega , qsc to name a few . as for stereo or home theater receiver for budget i have been happy with yamaha , alot of yamaha stereo receiver are capable of driveing low ohm loads and deliver respectable dynamic power . to have 4 channels i think you would want to look at hometheater receivers , i have a yamaha htr-5740 and it will do 6 channel stereo in addition to a ton of other multi channel modes , the older yamaha surround recievers don't all have a 6 channel stereo option .

another idea for you is to use car amps , computer power supply can produce enough current to run car amps , not sure how an amp rated 1500 watts at full tilt would go though . if you found say a 600 watt power supply , you could maybe figure 50 amps from the 600 watt supply , 600 divided by 12 = 50 . if you have a couple of has been computers sitting around there you go .

ok, thanks for the info! I will definitely look into those. but with a 600 watt power supply, could i power a full 600 watt rms amp?

Audio Build

Ride: 2002 Chevy Blazer 4 door

Head Unit: Pioneer deh-80prs

Subs: 4 DC Level 3 15's in a 4th order wall designed by Trent Choate and Jeff Smith

Subs Amp: AQ 3500.1 at wired at .5 (soon to be 2)

Mids/Highs Amp: Skar 85.4

Mids/Highs: Skar components

Electrical: Mechman 270 amp alt, 2 runs of Knu 0 gauge, XS Power d3400, 2 Deka Group 9a31

Build log : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167658-indianabasshead-blazer-dc-audio-4th-order-wall-build/

Perfomance Build

2003 Nissan 350z

Greddy Twin Turbo, 3" Test pipes with Borla high-flow cats, Crawford Performance Plenum, Greddy E-manage Ultimate ECU

Exedy Racing Clutch, Built Motor by Racing Innovations

Greddy Over-fender aero kit (1 of 20 ever made), 19" Racing Hart r5 pro wheels
466rwhp

Bike

2008 Midnight Blue Kawasaki ZX-14

Stretched 8" and lowered, Brocks Sidewinder exhaust, Power Commander 5

it depends on the efficiency of the amp , if you can find a spec on what your amp's current draw might be that would help . they make bigger pc power supplys too .i think you can guess something like 70% efficient , and then clamp meter and volt meter you amps output and then do some math to figure out if it is feasible .

me personally , i would get some home audio gear if you want to have a stereo in the house . the chance of fire or ruining equipment , or having some other problems going the route of car audio in the house is to great for my liking . but it has been done

i didn't mention this before but parts express has a variety of amps , plate amps for making a powered sub too

Archived