Sundown Audio

What amp to run an SA-8 v.2 D2 as a mid?

Krayzie

Ill start with my current setup to give people a better understand of what I'm working with.

Headunit: JVC AV60BT

Power: 1/0 Welding cable (single run for power)

Same cable from amp to chassis for ground

Same cable for big 3

Singer 240A alt

Stock battery (I know :( )

2x Fi BL12 D2 Wired to 2ohm until i get batteries

Sundown SAZ-3500D

Gains set with SMD DD-1

Now, I have an SA-8 v.2 D2 that I got from a Sundown yardsale a couple months ago and tested it freeair and can't find anything wrong with it. I purchased it thinking that I might want to run it as a "mid bass" sub, but I'm thinking of it being more towards "high low-end bass" around 45Hz+ so that I can tune my new enclosure (for the new DD 9512s) really low without having to worry about loss of musical quality.

I don't have the most tuned ears when it comes to music, but I just hate it when there are songs that come on where the bass will hit real hard then suddenly switch over to a note that isn't picked up very well by the enclosure. I'm fairly happy with how loud I can get at the moment so I want to work a little on getting better sounding bass out of my ride.

I plan on building a sealed fiberglass(ish) enclosure for the SA-8 on the floor of the back seat in the middle. It's an 05 Impala and my estimate will be that it will have about 1cuft of net volume after displacement.

Now with all that said, I naturally have a couple of questions that I want opinions on.

1. Has anyone tried running a sub like this for mid bass or a similar situation?

2. What amp would you say is sufficient for this? I was looking at the AP 15001D as I had one before and think it's great for the money and aren't really looking to break records off this one SA-8 that won't even be the main source of my being loud.

3. Am I going about this the wrong way? I just wont want there to be "gaps" in frequencies like I've always had.

Archived