Best festival I've ever done! (Videos, and some ass)

Long story short, called a guy asking for a sound engineer for a small town music festival. Gave him a call, told him what I had, ended up becoming the provider for the second stage at the festival. Main stage was a 20x12 homebuilt stage, Cerwin Vega stacks and Peavey side fills, Crown amps all around, not a bad setup. My stage was a 16x10 homebuilt as well, (technically 16x8, but had a 2' addon for monitors) used my EV 115P/118P for FOH, and the 4 12's on stage (3 front line, 1 drummer). 14 bands total (7 per stage, alternating every hour). End of the night, we had anywhere between 200 and 300 people in attendance for the last few bands, things went very smooth, and got to hear some great bands. Most I had on my stage was a five piece rock band, it was a tight fit but had no problems at all. Everyone complimented on my setup, and aside from a slight thermal shutdown from the sun peeping through the trees, had no issues at all with volume, coverage, or clarity. Some people even said my stuff should have been on the main stage, I just laughed. It was good to get out and have a good time with a bunch of talented musicians and artists, and give people a nice place to chill out and relax.

Couple videos from two of the bands that played. First video was a three-piece rock/metal band, second one was a pop-rock type band (the lead vocalist being the host of the shindig)

(And yes, the chick in the second video does have a very nice ass, I've already been well informed, lol)

Edited by iceman1575

POTATO!

Sounding really nice man!

PSN: Rcp_soundz

Good rule of thump is go by what fuse size is being used in these amps. The higher the more amperage it pulls, this is what I look at.

I'll stick a 300 amp fuse in a potato and sell it to you for $2k.

1991 Mazda 323VERY small build thread here: http://www.stevemead...23-small-build/

Sounding really nice man!

Getting there. I need to play with the overhead placement some, or may not even use them at all...still think they were way too loud in the mix, and I even brought them down out on occasion and there was still a lot of bleed. We did mic the snare from the bottom most of the time, which may be where it came from, but I did what I could. When you can walk in front of your own system to get to the stage and get overwhelmed by the sheer volume, you know you're doing something right lol. I plan on purchasing another pair for medium-sized gigs, and eventually some QSC KW153's and 181's (4 of each) for larger shows, and I'm hoping to have those by next year for the same festival...along with another Presonus board, lol.

POTATO!

I think we both agree qsc makes some nice shit! If you were micing the snare from the bottom for the sound of it, try using a PZM. I use the Shure beta 91A, but it on the ground under the snare (on a small towel to get rid of stage vibrations) and it sounds really nice.

I think it was the ride i could hear quite prominently in the mix. What overheads did you have? I quite like having a single one over the whole kit and a HH one miced from underneath. Im constantly seeing new things that other engineers do that i want to try. Like the 91 on the snare, saw that when I was doing stage for House Of Shem earlier in the year.

Good rule of thump is go by what fuse size is being used in these amps. The higher the more amperage it pulls, this is what I look at.

1991 Mazda 323VERY small build thread here: http://www.stevemead...23-small-build/

I think we both agree qsc makes some nice shit! If you were micing the snare from the bottom for the sound of it, try using a PZM. I use the Shure beta 91A, but it on the ground under the snare (on a small towel to get rid of stage vibrations) and it sounds really nice.

I think it was the ride i could hear quite prominently in the mix. What overheads did you have? I quite like having a single one over the whole kit and a HH one miced from underneath. Im constantly seeing new things that other engineers do that i want to try. Like the 91 on the snare, saw that when I was doing stage for House Of Shem earlier in the year.

Yeah, I've seen 9 out of 10 reviews saying they are great, especially compared to JBL PRX's gear. I'm thinking the 4 KW153's should be OK, 75* dispersion should help curb the comb filtering, but I've heard they don't throw that far. My family is wanting to help me out, but if I do get the mains, I'd like to get the KW152's for foldback.

The CAD condensers that come in the Pro-7 drum mic kit. I had them in an XY config, but like I said I brought them out of the mix at times, and it was just general bleed, probably from either the vocal mics or the other drum mics...

POTATO!

Yeah, I've seen 9 out of 10 reviews saying they are great, especially compared to JBL PRX's gear. I'm thinking the 4 KW153's should be OK, 75* dispersion should help curb the comb filtering, but I've heard they don't throw that far. My family is wanting to help me out, but if I do get the mains, I'd like to get the KW152's for foldback.

The CAD condensers that come in the Pro-7 drum mic kit. I had them in an XY config, but like I said I brought them out of the mix at times, and it was just general bleed, probably from either the vocal mics or the other drum mics...

Just go for the KLA's :P they are in the budget right? hahaha

Also idk about the 153's but i know with the jbl 725's if you push them together so that the two inner sides are flat on each other, they are meant to not have any negative effects on the sound. I use them quite a bit and they sound really nice. Ive never heard the 153's but they look nice

Just go for the KLA's :P they are in the budget right? hahaha

Also idk about the 153's but i know with the jbl 725's if you push them together so that the two inner sides are flat on each other, they are meant to not have any negative effects on the sound. I use them quite a bit and they sound really nice. Ive never heard the 153's but they look nice

I dunno, the KLA's would be nice, but they're not AS versatile as the 153's. I'd like to use the 153's for front fills and the KLA's for distance coverage, that would be really nice, lol. But these are just going to be for "larger" events, mainly ones that I will be running solo for the most part, with a helper for mic'ing up and lighting. OF course, for the one festival I would be doing next year, 4 KLA181's and 6 of the KLA12's would sound awesome up front, probably a bit overkill but still.

POTATO!

Nah, never over kill! I think you will find when you get the 153's you will take them more then your single 15's haha, I bought a 48 channel MH3 for larger events. now i use it when ever i get the chance no matter the size of the gig hahaha but i also need a small army to lift that son of a bitch

Nah, never over kill! I think you will find when you get the 153's you will take them more then your single 15's haha, I bought a 48 channel MH3 for larger events. now i use it when ever i get the chance no matter the size of the gig hahaha but i also need a small army to lift that son of a bitch

Definitely. The plan is for 4 each of the 153's, 152's, and 181's for a larger setup. The EV's will be for smaller stuff. In bars, I would probably only use one pair of the 153's and probably use one for a drum monitor, lol. I think once I get these and the Luminlight cans and some mics, I should be good for a while, lol. The EV's are great for smaller stuff (even bluegrass: another company I work with has 2 more 12's I can use if needed)

POTATO!

How long do you think it will take to get all that together? its an impressive list thats for sure