jrdz2120 Posted July 24, 2012 Report Posted July 24, 2012 Hi, I was in need of a little help with my electrical. I recently udgraded from my old system to what I currently have now consisting of a Pioneer 880prs hertz mille 165 mlk comps 4x6 eclipse point source rear fill on head unit power (2) 12 inch kicker l5 subs diamond D6 1500.1 diamond D6 600.4 Optima yellow top Alterstart 180 amp alternator First everything was running off of the stock 105 amp alternator and I was dipping down as low as 11 volts if not lower on the dash gauge and also on the one on the stereo display and blew the sub amp. Luckily I had a back up d6 1500 and installed it. then my alternator gave out yesterday so I went down to alterstart and picked up a 180 amp alternator and installed it along with all fresh 2 guage big three wiring. The stereo shop that did my install also did the big three with 4 guage aluminum wire so I took that crap out. I hold steady at around 13 to 13.5 on full volume with real bass heavy songs but still light dimming. I even had the shop test the alternator and give me the read out before I bought it. I did notice that the stereo shop installed a single 4 guage kit to power both amps, not sure if this might be the problem. Any input will be geatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Guest Posted July 24, 2012 Report Posted July 24, 2012 if your voltage deviates even .1 volt, you'll have light dimming
graham0599 Posted July 24, 2012 Report Posted July 24, 2012 I'd try running a 1/0 gauge wire to a distributor with 2- 4ga outputs My 350z build- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174424-2008-350z-build/page-2?hl=%2B350z+%2Bbuild#entry2605678
rockFord_Expedition Posted July 25, 2012 Report Posted July 25, 2012 Without looking up your amp specs I would guess that you are pulling approx. 250 amps, maybe a little less, between the two. Is this the only aftermarket electrical in your vehicle? If the factory alternator was raed at 105 amps, and you upgraded to 180, you only gave yourself an extra 75 to play with, in addition to whatever your vehicle could spare from the 105. Keep in mind that these are (generally) max ratings, so if you are running at idle you are usually getting quite a bit less. Also, what kind of battery setup do you have? a single 180 amp alternator with a single stock battery is probably not enough electrical. I would add an adequate AGM battery in the back. Also, I am not sure how long your runs of wire are, but I would reccommend 1/0 for at least your longest runs, as well as all of your grounds. If you can, running all 1/0 would be ideal. I'll check in later when I have mre time. Old School/New School RF Build March 2015 SOTM Winner How to crimp large wire
jrdz2120 Posted July 29, 2012 Author Report Posted July 29, 2012 Well, I was looking at the ground in the back where the amp is and it is sandwiched beteween the seat bracket and body using a crimp connector and factory seat nut. I think this may be the problem but I am still gonna run new 1/0 cable and see how I can fit a battery in the back. I know the second battery should be as close as possible the amps , but could I run it from the auxilary battery tray under the hood and still be affective?
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.