Sundown Audio

Shitty amp or something else?

Joshex

So, a while back I bought a Power Acoustik d1-4000d amp. I used it for a while when I had 2 15" L7s. It ended up crapping out on me and I sent it back and it was a refurbished one. I now have (2) 12" rockford P3s. The problem I am having is the amp, at high volumes with lots of bass the amp goes into protection mode. I turn it down and it kicks back on. So I did everything I could. I sanded down the metal at my ground points for no paint. This did not help at all. So then I relocated the grounds thinking it was my error for a bad ground spot. It helped out a little bit then it started to do it again. I have checked and rechecked EVERY wire many times, power, ground, etc. I then thought it was due to voltage drop, I checked my battery and it need water. I put water in it and tested the voltage, was reading 13.5 volts resting with car on. I also had a cap installed and was watching that. it would not drop below 12.5 volts then it started but still went into protection at high bass strains. I have check my wiring at the sub several times and it is correct and the amp can handle 4-1 ohms and I have had it wired at 4 and 1 ohm. I installed another battery thinking it would help and it is not helping at all. All my fuses are still fine and everything is secure. When I was listening to it after trying everything again, the amp did the protection mode but this time it could handle it a little longer. So I turned the volume down and was listening to it quietly and the amp just isn't playing anything anymore, but it is turned on and not in protection. I have tried many suggestions and none of them have worked. I have 0 awg wiring and 2 working batteries wired up correctly. I started to think it could be my alternator, but it's not a very old alternator either, not even a year. So I'm looking at any possible solution and help/advice. I am hoping it is not my amp and it is just a stupid fix that I'm not realizing or something I could fix.

All help with be greatly appreciated!

SMD_zps84fd99a2.jpg
95 Acura Integra - 5-speed
NFG thumb.gif
Pioneer FH-X700BT
(2) Rockford Fosgate 12" P3
AQ1200d
Rockford Fosgate P1652-S 6.5" components
Rockford Fosgate P1572 5x7"
Rockford Fosgate R400.4

95 Integra Build Here
93 EJ2 Build Here

Well, gain is not high at all. Never above half gain. I was watching it go into protection as the volume was up. But another note is that is a refurbed amp.

I would really like to get another amp, but I'm flat broke due to school and rebuilding my civic.

But could it just be a huge strain on my alternator? I've heard these civic alternators are tiny, like less than 90 amps?

SMD_zps84fd99a2.jpg
NFG thumb.gif
Pioneer FH-X700BT
AQ1200d
Rockford Fosgate R400.4

95 Integra Build Here
93 EJ2 Build Here

your amp is like 1400wrms.

13.5v is low while the car is on and no music/loads on.

whats the voltage while you're just driving around?

there is a mod you have to do on your civic to keep the voltage up. i forgot what it was called, i think ELD or something. theres a big topic on here about it. its some stupid load sensing technology in the cars. once it sees a load like the headlights, it'll boost the voltage up. car amplifiers wont make it "see" the increased load.

Yeah, the amp was not worth the money. I wasn't informed when I bought it. But I found out the fuse calculation and got made that the company is ridiculously lying. But I believe my volts driving is about 14 or so.

But I will have to look into that trick for the civic.

I would love to buy a better alt/battery, but expenses are low like I said.

One thing I'm going to try again with the extra battery is lowering the ohms to 4 load again and seeing if that is going to mask the problem.

Thanks again for the advice.

SMD_zps84fd99a2.jpg
NFG thumb.gif
Pioneer FH-X700BT
AQ1200d
Rockford Fosgate R400.4

95 Integra Build Here
93 EJ2 Build Here

I may have to look into this. It says from 94-2006 and mine is a 93 so I'm not exactly sure if mine has this. I will research more into it when I have the time.

SMD_zps84fd99a2.jpg
NFG thumb.gif
Pioneer FH-X700BT
AQ1200d
Rockford Fosgate R400.4

95 Integra Build Here
93 EJ2 Build Here

It's got an ELD. I just checked ;)

My name is AdamThis is my Civic Build.7" Samsung Tab 2Kenwood KDC-X896Clarion EQS746Sundown X-15DC 3.5k @2ohmHatersGonnaHate's 02 Civic UBLELD Bypass for Honda Civic/Accord/FitDon's Jeep Grand Cherokee Rebuild

N8ball2013 - i think you'd stick your dick in a blender if it told you it was 40 wtih two kids your age. lol

srp365 - If posting were picking up bitches, I'd be going home single tonight

looks like tony montana sneezed in your car.

VbjgkeI.jpg

kNsESzw.jpg

Sweet, thanks guys for all the info and help.

Just check my current resting volts and it was 14.5v steady idling without lights and I turned the lights on while resting it it jumped to about 14.8-9v resting.

I imagine it would be a bit more with some rpms going, no?

SMD_zps84fd99a2.jpg
NFG thumb.gif
Pioneer FH-X700BT
AQ1200d
Rockford Fosgate R400.4

95 Integra Build Here
93 EJ2 Build Here