Second Skin Audio

not sure if i am totally satisfied with my sub setup and unsure which direction to go from here

i built this box in july and got it in and playing last week , although it does sound good enough and gets a little loud i was expecting a little more . i have 3 jl 13w1 subs , 2 of them i have had for 3 years and have also had them in the same vehicle in a different enclosure . this enclosure is sealed and somewhere in the range of 6.24 cubic ft to 8.12 cubic foot , 1 common space inside the box , its hard to say exactly because of the baffle and such . they seem to me to be peaky around 30-40 hz , not exact . 3 4ohm subs wired at 1.33 ohms on a tma 1000.1 monoblock amp , everything flat .

a few thoughts come to mind , aero ports , taking some internal volume away , or lining the inside of the box with convoluted foam . not really sure which way to go from here .

jl says 1.5 cub per sub sealed and 2.625 cub ported .

looks like i am in the ballpark for ported , but i haven't really liked the ported enclosures i have built in the past .

i have move the box closer to and farther from the hatch and found the sweet spot with that .

looking for any helpful feedback or direction , thanks

DSCF2892.jpg

Edited by b-dubs89

1 thing to be more specific is that i think the bass from these subs could stand to be a little cleaner , maybe a little less muddy ?volume is good enough , almost a bit painful to listen to bass mekanic

i have thought about doing some ports seens how i am close to the rec. volume for ported box , but i am reluctant to do so because the last to ported jl builds i did were built to spec and sounded like shit despite being louder . they were very peaky in a non-musical sort of way . if that makes any sense