Sonic Electronix

New to car audio - looking for assistance

All my life I've been around car audio, always wanted a full system, but couldn't afford it. Last week a JL Audio 500/1 Amp entered my life (discontinued amp). I'm curious to as what this amp can handle (in terms of woofers). I'm not the brightest when it comes to car audio, as I stated, by trying to become familiar. I drive a 02 Monte, so the stock system it has isn't too bad, the 6x9's come with a stock amp as well (I believe it's only like 100 watts max). The MAIN question of the post is, can the amp handle 2 12's without frying? Or should I buy another amp to handle another sub? or just a bigger amp in general for woofers and deck, etc.

It doesn't matter if you run a Pyle or an SMD on that amp, that amp will run the same as long as the gain is set correctly. You should focus instead of finding subs that can handle the amp.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

It'd be nice to match JL's, but I've been told they're kind of over rated. Kicker type R's have my attention as well. I'd prefer to sit at 2 ohms, the lower the better. I'm not looking for attention, but I would like to be able to not hear the person next to me, and still get a solid bump.

It doesn't matter if you run a Pyle or an SMD on that amp, that amp will run the same as long as the gain is set correctly. You should focus instead of finding subs that can handle the amp.

That's kind of my question. I'm not sure on the power of the amp and whatnot. Can it handle 2? I think the RMS cap is 500 watts if I'm not mistaken?

That's kind of my question. I'm not sure on the power of the amp and whatnot. Can it handle 2? I think the RMS cap is 500 watts if I'm not mistaken?

from what i understand it makes 500 rms at 4 ohms and 2 ohms Edited by deathcards

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

from what i understand it makes 500 rms at 4 ohms and 2 ohms

I hate to sound like a total mouth breather, but what exactly does that mean? I'm a tad new to all this lol.