Sonic Electronix

5.1 surround (need advice on options)

I need some help deciding on which way to go with the build I am doing for my wife. Traditional Stereo with external amps now (just with a DVD head unit) or go 5.1 surround with power from the HU and Processor. So here are the specifics....

I want this to be a proper build on my wife's 2003 Trailblazer. As in Stealthy looking but VERY nice sounding. (read: I am going to try to do SQ)

(it is the one in the middle) :P

546553_2555029173321_1820349796_n.jpg

Aaaand, I have acquired one of these:

avhp4100dvd.jpg

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-J99C3rcIWtq/p_130AVHP410/Pioneer-AVH-P4100DVD.html

A pioneer DVD player with goodies. It even has a built in amp (which surprises me on a unit like this).

My question- should I use this unit as is with external amps (old school stuff that I could buy) OR should I go with one of these:

DEQP8000.jpg

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Accessories/Equalizers/DEQ-P8000

Yes- go 5.1 in the car. The plan would be to let the processor (50x5) power the mids (Front & Rear L&R + Center) and then the head unit (50x4) run the tweeters (Front A pillars, Rear doors).

I am liking the 5.1 surround for now. The DEQ-P8000 comes with a mic and does a diagnostic mode where it will auto EQ to as acoustically flat as the system can play and then it will auto time align itself. I am really liking this idea at the moment. I mean... I could always add amps later if I ever hit the lotto. lol.

Any input guys?

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

She Kind of liked my 5.1 setup ... I say go with the 5.1 My suggestion would be to start out with 2 way passive with a center channel and go from there (with nothing smaller than 8s in the doors) ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

replied to your PM

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

She Kind of liked my 5.1 setup ... I say go with the 5.1 My suggestion would be to start out with 2 way passive with a center channel and go from there (with nothing smaller than 8s in the doors) ...

I like it! I have tweets, mids and crossovers already. So Passive would be easy. Mids are 5.25s though. Nowhere near the grunt they need... I'm pretty much set on not getting any other speakers for her car unless they are Blues. :D

I told you Randal, you ruined me.

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

For starters, you should have no problems running most of this off of radio power ... just wiring differences mainly, gives you time to acquire the wanted amps ...

I know you can fit 8s in those front doors with no problems ... with the bose adapters, they bolt in as if they were meant to be there from the factory ...

I can show you pics of the best place to install the tweeters in the sail pannels ... and I think they had 5.25s in the rear doors, maybe 6.5s, not sure but Jimmy can tell you for sure ... and if i'm not mistaken, there should be a perfect spot to hide a 5.25 center channel in the dash just under the center defroster vents with no modifications to the dash what so ever ...

I know you can fit 8s in those front doors with no problems ... with the bose adapters, they bolt in as if they were meant to be there from the factory ...

I can show you pics of the best place to install the tweeters in the sail pannels ... and I think they had 5.25s in the rear doors, maybe 6.5s, not sure but Jimmy can tell you for sure ...

Oh, I've seen the photos. That is the exact setup that this one will be- Tweets in the sails, working towards 8"s in the doors. The back doors are 5.25s if I'm not mistaken. I've been in them already to put the current Peerless 5.25s in there (front and back) but it has been a while. I actually put in some Hifonics Silk Domes up front with a -6 db bass blocker (cap) on them. They sound pretty good, and much better than the back that is without tweeters. These mids aren't much on high end extension at all. My wife would shoot me if I didn't put speakers in the rear doors. She has got to have her back speakers, she has told me that more than once. :D

Another pic of some more of the swag:

215428_3089919705250_1168367553_n.jpg

Vifa Logic 5.25 that will be a center, Old NIB MTX 5000 xovers and their silk dome tweeters. I actually have 6 more crossovers and 2 more tweeters... No pics of the Peerless speakers- b/c they are in the TB right now. hehe

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

My truck was a totally different story than Mike's trailblazer ... I feel that you need NO tweeters in the rears ... just the 5.25 midranges ...

fullrange on radio power should be fine ... unless you just want to amplify them, but I suggest leaving them on radio power ...

My truck was a totally different story than Mike's trailblazer ... I feel that you need NO tweeters in the rears ... just the 5.25 midranges ...

fullrange on radio power should be fine ... unless you just want to amplify them, but I suggest leaving them on radio power ...

That could be easily done too! :D Either just not install them OR I could install them and see if it is better without them. And if so, then just remove the lead from the crossover. That way I could have the option, you know?

I am very much thinking about making brackets that will hold the tweeters dead center of the 5.25 cones. Have the tweeter close to the mid as possible. I could even do this with the center as well, with the option to remove it. ...all this and still keep the tweeters still in the sails. ...with the risk of having too much treble... but I don't believe that will be an issue what with the Processor doing the EQ work. The only issue to worry about then becomes imaging (in theory).

I like radio power on the fullrange stuff. Less $$ and cargo space taken up. This vehicle carries baby strollers and luggage and everything else. :loser:

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Archived