.. if you let the warm up 5 minutes it is the best thing for you..

Sorry bro..but I'm gonna call you out on this one. NEVER..NEVER let a car idle that long! Have you ever heard of Cylinder Washdown (also called Wet Stacking)? Prolong idles are bad for any motor.

EDIT: You definately do not want to just start the motor and take off. It is best if you let the car idle for a moment to get all of the fluids circulating, as lubricity is the life of the engine. However, if it is cold out side (say sub 30's as an example), as the motors fluids get colder, they thicken up. The colder, thicker the fluids the less lubricity they provide. But the fluids are not going to hit operating temp of the vehicle idles for 2 minutes, or 5 minutes. The best thing for a motor on a cold morning is to start it, let it idle for say a minute or two, and for the first couple of miles, keep the RPM's low (less stress on the motor) until the fluids start warming up and can gain their lubricity levels back.

Edited by str86diesel

2k6 Dodge Ram 2500...CUMMINS POWERED - SOLD

Sorry bro..but I'm gonna call you out on this one. NEVER..NEVER let a car idle that long! Have you ever heard of Cylinder Washdown (also called Wet Stacking)? Prolong idles are bad for any motor.

EDIT: You definately do not want to just start the motor and take off. It is best if you let the car idle for a moment to get all of the fluids circulating, as lubricity is the life of the engine. However, if it is cold out side (say sub 30's as an example), as the motors fluids get colder, they thicken up. The colder, thicker the fluids the less lubricity they provide. But the fluids are not going to hit operating temp of the vehicle idles for 2 minutes, or 5 minutes. The best thing for a motor on a cold morning is to start it, let it idle for say a minute or two, and for the first couple of miles, keep the RPM's low (less stress on the motor) until the fluids start warming up and can gain their lubricity levels back.

hey... you are the one that needs to replace the rod bearings because you have a knock... i let my 4 cyl. idle 5-10 minutes every mornning, and i dont have ANY PROBLEMS... and I have over 200,000 miles... so.. i think i will stick with what i am doing.. THANK YOU THOUGH!!!

IM A LOW LIFE SCAMMER SO I WAS BANT....TEH HAMMA is NOT my friend

hey... you are the one that needs to replace the rod bearings because you have a knock... i let my 4 cyl. idle 5-10 minutes every mornning, and i dont have ANY PROBLEMS... and I have over 200,000 miles... so.. i think i will stick with what i am doing.. THANK YOU THOUGH!!!

it is bad on a DIESEL motor to idle... for that long.. I am talkin gasoline engine... any diesel motor should never idle for 5 - 10 minutes regardless.. it is harder on those motors...

it is bad on a DIESEL motor to idle... for that long.. I am talkin gasoline engine... any diesel motor should never idle for 5 - 10 minutes regardless.. it is harder on those motors...

Gasoline motors have the same problem mang....it's caused from lack of compression at idle. Yes I have fixed many motors both gas an diesel because of this.

2k6 Dodge Ram 2500...CUMMINS POWERED - SOLD

Gasoline motors have the same problem mang....it's caused from lack of compression at idle. Yes I have fixed many motors both gas an diesel because of this.

like i said homie... i have never had a problem with my cars.. :)

str8diesel is right you dont want to let your car idle for that long. It actually is gas consuming. You can start the motor and go. Now you are not to start the car and gun it, but all cars gasoline, diesel whatever are designed that way. I can get in the details but i dont have time right now im at work. He has knock because is oil sump is probably clogged due to now oil changes so the oil is not getting the right places. To the OP xtremeSPL gave you the right directions to fix it but just make sure you get those regular oil changes its there for a reason.

Mark

99 Eclipse Spyder

• 3 weeks later...

sorry i havent replied on this topic havent been able to get on lately. id like to change the bearings and rods but.....if im gonna tear down a motor id like to know what im doing lol. and i have no clue how to do that. ik it would be asking too much for someone to give me instructions so i wont bother asking. but thanks for the ideas ppl.