Voltages better when cold? Alt or Bat next upgrade?

So where my car sits over night (99 jeep GC) and i start it up in the morning voltage is 13.9-14 for a little bit. but as my car warms up my voltage drops to around 13.4-13.75.. any reasons?

also, im looking at either getting a D6500 (320) or a singer 250a alt (410) which would be a better upgrade first? can i ruin my stock battery by getting an alt like that?

heat + electricity = resistance = lower voltage.

its completely normal. when i start my car, i sit at high 14's. then when it warms up, i drop around half a volt.

from what i've read, jeeps have a preset voltage in the pcm. so adding a new alt wont really raise the voltage, unless you get an external regulator.

edit: although i dont know exactly which jeep models have this "feature".

Yeah Mikey as your vehicle heats up you lose voltage my explorer is the same way when I start up first thing in the morning I run at 14.6 after about 20 mins I am at 14.2.

Dam man I didnt realize you were running that big of an amp and only .3 db's louder than me running 500 watts I guess you really do need more cone space. I have 3 more punch HX'2 getting reconned and will be building a wall behind rear seat with 6 of them running off a pair of the power bd 500.1's for next season.

EDIT Just finshed my brother in laws truck today he is running 2 power series hx2's off a power bd 1000 and it bangs pretty nice. He will be in Sanford on the 29th

Clarion CX-501 HU

Rockford Fosgate Punch 400-A4 on

Rockford Fosgate T152 5.25 in center console and

Rockford Fosgate T1682 in front factory

Rockford Fosgate T2500-1BDCP on subs

6 12inch RF HX2's in 13.4 cuft. tuned to 30 with port in 47 with it out

240 Amp American Armature Alt

100AH C&D in back Optima Yellow top up front

Yeah Mikey as your vehicle heats up you lose voltage my explorer is the same way when I start up first thing in the morning I run at 14.6 after about 20 mins I am at 14.2.

Dam man I didnt realize you were running that big of an amp and only .3 db's louder than me running 500 watts I guess you really do need more cone space. I have 3 more punch HX'2 getting reconned and will be building a wall behind rear seat with 6 of them running off a pair of the power bd 500.1's for next season.

EDIT Just finshed my brother in laws truck today he is running 2 power series hx2's off a power bd 1000 and it bangs pretty nice. He will be in Sanford on the 29th

I've got 3 of the punch hx2 dvc's .... Rfd2212 I think. Also 2 of the same series 15's bnib Cool gear. Sorry for going off topic.....

Anyway, yes voltage drops in all vehicles after the alternator warms up. Not too much you can do except maybe an mla module.

Regarding your next upgrade, what are you getting out of your factory alternator? As long as its not too bad I say battery first. You can top it off every couple weeks or so if need be with a trickle charge.

Archived