Does anyone here like today's mainstream hip hop?

No

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Two 12" DC Audio XL M2'sCrescendo Audio BC5500d

Current Scores: 150+ out the Trunk

On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

And VomitUrSoul, all I saw was the YouTube preview for Tech's Fuck The Industry and somehow knew it was you that posted it. Haha

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Two 12" DC Audio XL M2'sCrescendo Audio BC5500d

Current Scores: 150+ out the Trunk

On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

I feel like some people have it backwards... i feel that the type of music you hear in the club or dance to (a lot of the mainstream) type stuff, is hip-hop. the real shit that's not mainstream lyrics, not just a dope beat, things that have meaning, truth and talent behind them, i consider that rap. that's just the way i've always differentiated rap and hip hop.

can an avid mainstream listener please tell me about tech n9ne and hopsin? ever since i started listening to tech and other underground artists, i completely lost touch with the radio. so i found him and other underground artists before they were known and apparently theyre getting radio now. i just wanna know how "underground" my "underground" artists still are lol.

I can't stand the vast majority of the shit that's on the radio now. The only thing that i miss about being a mainstream/radio listener, is knowing of good slow songs. they've always had good r&b/slow songs. my slow song playlists are old and very much lacking lol. for me, that's the only thing good about the radio anymore.

Alpine CDA-9886Hertz Mille 3 ways active

Hertz SPL Show 8's

2 Audison Voce Quattro's2 DC Audio M2 Level 5 12'sDC Audio 12.0KKnuKonceptz Wiring4 XS Power D3100'sDC Power 390XPSecond Skin Damplifier Pro and Dynamat Xtreme

Esy3YgK.jpg

I feel like some people have it backwards... i feel that the type of music you hear in the club or dance to (a lot of the mainstream) type stuff, is hip-hop. the real shit that's not mainstream lyrics, not just a dope beat, things that have meaning, truth and talent behind them, i consider that rap. that's just the way i've always differentiated rap and hip hop.

can an avid mainstream listener please tell me about tech n9ne and hopsin? ever since i started listening to tech and other underground artists, i completely lost touch with the radio. so i found him and other underground artists before they were known and apparently theyre getting radio now. i just wanna know how "underground" my "underground" artists still are lol.

I can't stand the vast majority of the shit that's on the radio now. The only thing that i miss about being a mainstream/radio listener, is knowing of good slow songs. they've always had good r&b/slow songs. my slow song playlists are old and very much lacking lol. for me, that's the only thing good about the radio anymore.

Yea my definition of hiphop and rap are directly opposite of yours lol. I always saw hiphop as more of the meaningful, poetry type rhyming (not always of course) many of which focusing on technical skill (multisyllable rhyming, metaphors etc) and more introspective type material. Hiphop always to me had more, I guess you'd say, kick beats for the drums so not too bass heavy, bass is mostly used to keep time. On the other hand, I always saw rap as music with deep bass, with catchy beats and chorus, lyrics and technical skill not always up to par. Guess everyone's definition can be different. Pretty much people use the two term interchangeably, so either is ok. Probably best put by KRS-One, "Rap is something you do, Hiphop is something you live".

As far as Tech and Hopsin...Tech and Hopsin have been becoming increasingly popular, but they're pretty much still underground. Tech gets played on the radio every now and then but very rarely (probably mostly on satellite radio), or at least not around here. Matter of fact, most people I know either don't know who Tech is or have heard of him but never really listened to him. The few that do know him, are pretty much like all of us and don't listen to the radio. I actually heard about Hopsin from TRTN (Tech N9ne's website/forum) back around Spring 2010. He use to post his old videos (first one I remember was "Motherfucker") on there and we'd all listen and give him feed back lol. Never thought he'd become as popular as he has now.

Archived