2000 blazer 4.3 vortec knock

I'm Tommy!

Just bought a '00 blazer, really well maintained. But it has a tapping sound as the lifter may have collapsed.

(knew the motor was gonna need fixing).

My question is, if it's not the lifters/pushrods, what kind of cost will I be looking at to rebuild my motor from the block up? I don't mind the labor and I do have the ability to do this. Hopefully after I open the block up its just the lifter:p

Thanks!

well, it really depends what went wrong. if its just the lifters, you can get a new set of stock ones for under 100 bucks. however, for you to really tell what the motor needs, like rings, bearings, cylinders honed ect, you just have to tear it apart and look at it.

Well i put a screwdriver to the oil pan, and the knocking sounds like its literally inside the pan and on the lower end of the motor, previous owner ran it on low oil i found out :/ Gonna be buying a re-manufactured long block i decided. Should be installing it myself within 2 weeks! Gonna be running like new again :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I finally got my new motor in :)

Although startup is very rough and it's bothering me. I think there may be a fuel pressure leak. As when it's running it's great, started breaking it in yesterday.

It takes a TON of cranking to fire, originally I thought it may just be that its a new motor, but day 2 and about the 5th start it is still acting up.

The new motor is from 02-05 and never been fired, but I forgot to check the flywheel to make sure it's the same. So I plan on pulling the bellhousing inspection plate to make sure my new starter is actually gripping the wheel good, and not tearing it up bad. As these motors come with 153 and 168 tooth flywheels. But I would imagine the new starter that's for 168 tooth flywheels wouldnt even turn the 153 wheel if that's indeed what I have?

And on my way to school I had a heater core hose blow off and spray my engine with coolant

-.-

But I think that's just my fault for not tightening the hose enough.

Anyway, anyone with some insight or know much about 4.3 vortecs I would love some help with this :P

Archived