severancej Posted September 27, 2012 Report Posted September 27, 2012 I have a crappy HU, I want to upgrade but funds r too low to get the one i want, but... i seen this Rockford Balanced Line Driver for 50$ It has one input, my HU only has one Line out and its voltage is probably 0.5RMS,...Its a JVC KD-R310... I was wondering if this would be a good investment to RCA my amplifiers? I have a T500-1 and the RCA output on the T500 is connected to a P400-4 in 2CH mode. Does anyone think its a good idea or no just set my gains and run the HU? Also its labed as 11V RMS, but since the gain won't be up a lot my amps will be ok right? 98' dodge ram 140A alt Big 3 XS D2700 JVC kd-r310 Rockford T500-1BDCP 2 Sundown E12 Ported 4cubes 35hz Rockford P400-4 2 Infinity reference 3way 6x9 2 Polk DB 5 1/4 2x layer dynamat all doors
Wicks Posted September 28, 2012 Report Posted September 28, 2012 Personally I've never run a line driver, but your system is only as good as its weakest link. Things also get more complicated with more devices added to a system (connections, noise, settings, etc). A line driver will boost your voltage which helps you get a cleaner signal since you're further from your noise floor. It'd probably only be most effective though mounted as close to your HU as possible. You want the higher voltage / cleaner signal at the beginning of your RCA (signal cable) run to help eliminate noise and such. Now if your JVC supplies a crappy signal, then the line driver will boost a crappy signal. Its not a 360 which can process the signal, it simply boosts the voltage on what its given. If it were me, I'd save up for a better HU. Band-aid fixes are OK here and there but ultimately its best to eliminate them. Are you having noise issues? Most amps can handle a 0.2V signal but obviously your gains will be maxed out. This post sent with 100% recycled electrons. 2004 BMW M3Mechman 280A 2 - XS Power XP30001 - XS Power D375 500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F) iPadMini2Dash mounted O-scopeAudison bitOne (Remote DRC MP) Highs Amp - PPI Art A404 Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...) DC Audio DC9.0K 2- DC Audio XL12m2LEGAL - 147.3dB @ 41Hz OUTLAW - 150.2dB @ 45Hz OUTLAW - 145.7dB @ 30Hz JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER 2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER SOTM BUILD:http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026
severancej Posted September 28, 2012 Author Report Posted September 28, 2012 No serious noise issues, although there isnt complete silence... A faint whine w/rpm when I'm at high volume can be heard. It does advise mounting as close to source as possible. I might go ahead and buy it. I know my jvc is weak on it's line out.. But your right that deck is a pos it's the last damn thing I need to upgrade 98' dodge ram 140A alt Big 3 XS D2700 JVC kd-r310 Rockford T500-1BDCP 2 Sundown E12 Ported 4cubes 35hz Rockford P400-4 2 Infinity reference 3way 6x9 2 Polk DB 5 1/4 2x layer dynamat all doors
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.