Alright, makes as much sense as anything with these trucks. :lol: I appreciate it guys, this is why I ask, because someone knows more than I do about it...

im just going to guess since you said youve seen videos of turbos on 5.3s that you have a 5.3. so if you really want to get better gas millage what i would suggest is getting a air intake and a true tune and if you have the money exhaust.

ive got a 99 sierra 5.3 with air intake, true dual exhaust, and tune by wheatley in houston and i am getting right around 19mpg. and thats with z71 with 33 inch tires and 3.73 gears

Well I'm not in Houston so that kinda puts me out :lol: Right now I have a Flowmaster Outlaw (IIRC) on my truck (put on before I got it) but I think it's single to dual. If I could find a dual exhaust with the same characteristics (I can't stand the sound of 40's sometimes..) but an intake and tuning would be nice.

Another thing that helps a few mpg is running 93 octane instead of 87. In my blazer I get a little more power and go from 17 highway to 20 highway. and in town there is a noticeable difference in power.

I was thinking about that the other day. I might have to give higher octane a go. I know when i had my Grand Prix the mileage improved a little, but not drastically.

POTATO!

Alright, makes as much sense as anything with these trucks. :lol: I appreciate it guys, this is why I ask, because someone knows more than I do about it...

im just going to guess since you said youve seen videos of turbos on 5.3s that you have a 5.3. so if you really want to get better gas millage what i would suggest is getting a air intake and a true tune and if you have the money exhaust.

ive got a 99 sierra 5.3 with air intake, true dual exhaust, and tune by wheatley in houston and i am getting right around 19mpg. and thats with z71 with 33 inch tires and 3.73 gears

Well I'm not in Houston so that kinda puts me out :lol: Right now I have a Flowmaster Outlaw (IIRC) on my truck (put on before I got it) but I think it's single to dual. If I could find a dual exhaust with the same characteristics (I can't stand the sound of 40's sometimes..) but an intake and tuning would be nice.

Another thing that helps a few mpg is running 93 octane instead of 87. In my blazer I get a little more power and go from 17 highway to 20 highway. and in town there is a noticeable difference in power.

I was thinking about that the other day. I might have to give higher octane a go. I know when i had my Grand Prix the mileage improved a little, but not drastically.

i guess i should have also mentioned this. Wheatley will just send you a whole new cpu for your truck and you just unplug your old one and plug in your new one and you have a tuned truck.

99 Gmc sierra extended cab

front speakers: DB drive 6.5

back speakers: DB drive 6.5

amp: none right not

subs: none right now

Future

waiting to get my 2 skar vvw 8s installed

• 2 weeks later...

If you build it yourself you can probably get away with a 2500-3000$ price tag.

I sold performance parts for cars and bikes and been into FI for about 10 years so if you do something let me know and I'll steer ya in the right direction.

It may cost a bit more since I forgot you need a new computer but you could go the cheap route and possibly flash/chip it and have someone configure it to run on a positive input from a map sensor

Piston material and compression are factors but the big issue is gonna be what size wrist pin and what rods are in your stock engine. Most likely you'll be able to run 5-8 psi but the you get into whether or not your drivetrain can take the extra power.

150.1 @ 38hz142.3 @ 20hz (windows down)Only 2 batteries

A higher octane than needed doesn't increase mpg or power. In fact it'd be a loss in money due to premium being more expensive

High octane increases power AND mpg.

If your computer is set to run 87 octane and you run 93 or higher the computer will increase timing and pull fuel out of its stock maps IE make more power and use less fuel.

Think of it as voltage, you have less draw from your system if you have a larger alternator in turn increasing efficiency.

150.1 @ 38hz142.3 @ 20hz (windows down)Only 2 batteries

Archived