Random question...I know minimal about engines, no farther than changing spark plugs and various simple tasks. What would be the pro's and con's if I wanted to put a turbo on my truck? Would it help performance or gas mileage enough to be worth it? Nothing too crazy...I've seen videos of the same 5.3 with turbo's, but they were more for racing-type trucks. I'm just wondering if it'd be worth giving it a shot (of course having someone who knows what they're doing put it on)

(Oh, and if it was easier to just swap a turbo diesel in, I would...lol)

POTATO!

It would definitely help performance, but most likely kill your gas mileage. Mainly because you'll be tempted to get into boost all the time. Cruising at highway speeds, you wouldn't see a huge difference either way.

I say not worth the time and money if your not doing it for pure HP.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

It would definitely help performance, but most likely kill your gas mileage. Mainly because you'll be tempted to get into boost all the time. Cruising at highway speeds, you wouldn't see a huge difference either way.

I say not worth the time and money if your not doing it for pure HP.

I wouldn't be tempted, only time I would bust it out would be responding to the station, that's about it. Right now I average 12-13mpg city, but I'd like to get a bit better if possible, and I didn't know if a turbo would help do the job.

POTATO!

Your best bet is to get a programmer, and an intake! That alone should be able to give you 5-10mpg. Turbos dont necessarily hurt your mpg, but a good kit isnt worth the $$$$ if your not gonna use it for performance!

Pioneer AVH480

Zapco ST5XII amplifier

Stevens Audio 6.5" components (passive)

Onyx Subwoofer

Sky High OFC wiring

Not worth the money for gas increase. Might take years to make that money up. Turbo adds to things that can go wrong and things you need to maintain/fix.

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

Your best bet is to get a programmer, and an intake! That alone should be able to give you 5-10mpg. Turbos dont necessarily hurt your mpg, but a good kit isnt worth the $$$$ if your not gonna use it for performance!

they dont? i figure they do since you have to get bigger injectors or carburetor to feed it more fuel. most of the cars run lean to be able to pass emission and not upgrading injectors or bigger carb can and will harm an engine when running too lean. so in one way adding turbos does hurt gas mileage

Archived