Second Skin Audio

Box design for 4 12s?

Thomas

Well it's starting to get cold and that means its almost time to put the mustang away and get out the jeep. This is going to be a nothing fancy budget build, the goal is to just have something that sounds decent for the least amount of money spent.

Keeping in mind this is only a winter beater i went cheap on the subs, i found kicker cvr's for basically buy one get one free online so i ordered 4 12's. I picked up an older model hifonics 1600 to power them.

The idea here is just to build a box that sounds good. I'm obviously never going to put it on a meter and i could care less what the spl is. This is actually why i need help, i've designed and built plenty of boxes that get decently loud but i struggle with building a daily listening box. I'm hoping to be able to play all different types of music in this thing. Every box i design seems to be a "one note wonder".

So the equipment is

-4 kicker CVR 12"s

- Hifonics Brutus 1600

Going in the rear hatch area of a 97 Grand Cherokee Limited

The max dimensions are

Height-- 19"

Width-- 40"

Depth-- 26"

Keep in mind that the 26" depth would only leave a few inches between the box and the hatch if the port were to be rear facing.

I'm going to be building with 3/4" MDF and am considering the idea of doubling up the face of the box.

As far as tuning freq i'm open for suggestions. Just keep in mind i'm looking for a "musical" type box.

Thanks for any help or advice you guys can give!

m07qf.jpg

Here is a suggestion, needs 4" of free airspace in front of the port:

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 35.8 Hz

Vb = 7.74 ft^3

External Height = 19 in

External Width = 40 in

External Depth = 26 in

Port Width = 24 in

Port Height = 4 in

Cut Sheet List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.

* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

2 x Top & Bottom (3 parts) = 40 x 26

Left & Right Sides = 24 1/2 x 16 3/4

Front & Back = 40 x 16 3/4

L Port Internal Assembly Parts:

Front to Back = 15 1/4 x 25 1/2

Port Left Side Assembly:

15 1/4 x 4

Port Right Side Assembly:

15 1/4 x 4

Assembly guide (generic dimensions):

4xSUPB-1.jpg

Let me know any questions.

Thanks for the input. Thats actually really close to the box design i came up with. Would this design be good for all around listening and music?

Your dims are a just bit tight but yes I think it would do well on music the way its is right now provided that your front stage is nicely set.

I'm still somewhat new to this, after punching the numbers into torres I noticed that torres recommends i have 100-122 inches of port area and this would fall to 96 inches. Would it worthwhile to lengthen the port to 20" ? That would bring the tuning down to about 34 hz but would put the port area just inside the recommended specs.

I'm still somewhat new to this, after punching the numbers into torres I noticed that torres recommends i have 100-122 inches of port area and this would fall to 96 inches. Would it worthwhile to lengthen the port to 20" ? That would bring the tuning down to about 34 hz but would put the port area just inside the recommended specs.

The 12-16 square inches per cube is just a rule of thunb, port area is fine, what I would have preferred is a bit more net volume, like 2 cubes per sub, that could be accomplished increasing the height a little.

Archived