I have never heard anyone say a daily driver with a spool or welded diffs was a good idea. I'm surprised you guys haven't broken anything. A couple sets of tires could pay for a locker too so it seems silly.

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

Axle strength and tire size make a difference. In your case, a spool might have been fine with close to stock tires, but OP has 35"s which may be fine with no locking system (assuming stock axles), but a spool or welding might put enough stress on it to break something.

2016 Ford Focus SE

No build log yet
DC Audio 1.2K
2x DC Audio Level 2 10"

But te mechanical locker is fine right? Isn't that te next best from a selectable locker? Atleast for what I'm wanting

Yes, everyone has their opinions but I still wouldn't recommend a spool on a daily driver.

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

So is a spool pretty much like an all time lock

Yes. A spool is the absence of a differential. Both tires will turn at the same speed at all times.

Big 3 with Yellow Top

Big 3 with Yellow Top

I think Eaton do a E-Locker magnetic differential unit for your vehicle.. Designed as a front/rear idependently switchable electronic on the fly.

And all you full-spool haters... I have a spool in my daily road car, it's unreal for traction in the dry, vehicles with open centre diffs just can't keep up around corners! downside on mine...... You break ears of the tail shaft yoke, the cv joints will break every 18months, driveline couplings flog out, the rear external housing seal on the gearbox cops a hiding and the suspension wears prematurely.... things to look out for :P

Where I am here, a open centre diff costs about $750, a spool costs $80.

2000 VX Holden Commodore V6

Optima D34M

The Big 3 / 4ga Hot Earth

108sqft Dynamat Extreme

120A Alt

Alpine CDA-9815

+/- 0 gauge run

2F Aerpro cap

F/R: Peerless Resolution 6" 2-way / Alpine MRP-F600

Subs: 2x 12" Kenwood KFC-W3011 in moulded f/glass 1cuft boxes / Alpine MRD-M501

Archived