Sonic Electronix

need help with sound dampener material and "sweetspots"

hey guys, so im looking for road noise dampening material. i dont know what to get, what is best, and what is cost effective.

if i remember correctly, there are different types of dampener for different situations, ie bass flax vs road noise.

second, i know some spots are more important to cover, or produce more noise, like wheel wells. what other spots have alot of road noise?

also i need to get something for my trunk lid, the sub rattles the hell out of my trunk over half volume. i only have a 500w single 12" in a custom box. i put foam weather stripping around the trunk seal so when it closes its not loose. im tryin to completely remove that rattle, i cannot express howmuch i hate the sound of rattle.

ideally id like to noticably reduce road noise with cost effective materials, and not spend alot(i know, but i can dream right?)

i also am a really bad judge of material i will need, i dont know if i need a gallon of goop or how many sq feet etc. guestamate numbers are apreciated as well as expected costs, its for a 2007 civic sedan.

ive done peel and seal on my two front doors, and i stuck carpet padding under my front floor carpet(under the carpet, not the floormats) and that kinda helped. my biggest problem is i cant tell where the road noise comes from.

i know peel and seal is a lousy product for sound deadening, unfortunately i didnt know that when i put it in. live and learn, then use forums :)

i isolated the rear with more carpet padding, its enough for me on the rear. i can now tell that the majority of the road noise left is from the front wheels/wheel wells, i need to do those but now im at another crossroads, can i apply some kind of deadener from the outside of the car or will it fall off after 6 months from weather wear? im thinking if i can put the front on jackstands, take off the wheel, take off the plastic wheel well liner, and put some kind of dynamat like material on the wheel well where the cabin is from the outside, i can seal the noise out. the way the car is built, all of the wires come in right there because thats the fusebox, its awful to take it apart, ive tried before and only half succeeded.

so main point, thoughts on dampening from the outside of the car?

Archived