Jump to content

Project [IBWALL] 1998 Toyota Hiace


Recommended Posts

Posted

OK, this van concept was something that a friend of mine had been thinking about for a while. Build a campervan with a setup that will take stuff-all room. How? Infinite Baffle wall. I was all for it from the start, but two other friends were trying to tell us it was impractical and Eric (my friend who owns the van) started agreeing with it. I said I want to build it. Full stop. Not long after, the van wasnt bought first.... these were:

20120408.jpg

The bargain of the century with all 8 x 15 subs for $AUD350!!!! hahahaha.

The van followed suit afterwards:

dscf6929.jpg

Shortly after, he acquired his front stage (for now):

imag0141mu.jpg

imag0142c.jpg

imag0175uf.jpg

imag0177iq.jpg

2 x MaxAV Pro Audio 10s and Quantum Audio 1.75" Pro Audio Super Tweeters.

I quickly jigsawed out the doors and the boys cut out the speaker baffles. I "brainsed up" the baffle lay out But now the work left for me is to turn the doors into actual finished doortrims (we are NOT leaving them ghetto like that!)

Until then.... we prepped the van for some MUCH needed deadening.

imag0254cj.jpg

imag0255pl.jpg

imag0256chf.jpg

Project [iBWALL]

Budget install - high efficiency - CRAZY LOWZ!

Sub-less Toyota Camry Sedan

134.7dB @ 52Hz... off the back shelf... and NO SUBS!!!

Posted

Thanks for the welcome :) Been on here for a bit. Purchased a 4WD Trooper a while back, but I was forced to let it go.. now this build should make up for the loss :)

imag0258xm.jpg

imag0259w.jpg

imag0260a.jpg

imag0261e.jpg

imag0262x.jpg

imag0263x.jpg

imag0264kc.jpg

imag0265if.jpg

imag0266q.jpg

imag0267vp.jpg

imag0268yj.jpg

imag0269mc.jpg

And that's what 2 packs of deadener does for you.

Now for the fun part.... frame work :)

Project [iBWALL]

Budget install - high efficiency - CRAZY LOWZ!

Sub-less Toyota Camry Sedan

134.7dB @ 52Hz... off the back shelf... and NO SUBS!!!

Posted

imag0270q.jpg

imag0271y.jpg

imag0272sb.jpg

imag0273vw.jpg

imag0274q.jpg

imag0275pa.jpg

imag0276f.jpg

imag0277f.jpg

imag0278c.jpg

imag0279i.jpg

imag0280c.jpg

imag0281tg.jpg

Because I was working for a polystyrene cladding company a while ago (when this project first started), I gained access to some inustrial expanding foam. (The gun for the foam is worth $80AUD alone! Cartridges are $25 each and the gun cleaner is another $25. That's wholesale pricing!) But, they let me use some... so I did! :)

imag0282a.jpg

Project [iBWALL]

Budget install - high efficiency - CRAZY LOWZ!

Sub-less Toyota Camry Sedan

134.7dB @ 52Hz... off the back shelf... and NO SUBS!!!

Posted

Day two:

imag0285u.jpg

dscf6922y.jpg

dscf6922y.jpg

dscf6923o.jpg

dscf6924p.jpg

dscf6925s.jpg

dscf6926g.jpg

dscf6927i.jpg

dscf6928l.jpg

dscf6931d.jpg

dscf6932.jpg

dscf6935.jpg

dscf6936.jpg

^^^ And that is one round down....

We then anchored it down SOLID in three spots and this bracing arrangement is seriously going NOWHERE anytime soon!!!!

Project [iBWALL]

Budget install - high efficiency - CRAZY LOWZ!

Sub-less Toyota Camry Sedan

134.7dB @ 52Hz... off the back shelf... and NO SUBS!!!

Posted

Next round... same day:

dscf6937u.jpg

^^^ This is Eric... I've already worn him out by this stage, but seeing the wall potential was the driving force to keeping him going. :P haha

dscf6938r.jpg

dscf6940r.jpg

imag0380u.jpg

imag0381aj.jpg

imag0382y.jpg

imag0383v.jpg

imag0384z.jpg

imag0385k.jpg

^^^ Me in action with the gun foam. (I love the suff!)

imag0386jb.jpg

imag0387sx.jpg

imag0388y.jpg

imag0389r.jpg

imag0390v.jpg

imag0392m.jpg

imag0393h.jpg

And now for the tough stance shot to end the day!

imag0394e.jpg

Day two..... done and dusted. This frame is bolted down THAT sturdy that you could use it for a stripper session and swing off the thing! Exactly what we needed for this kind of application. The cabin needs to be well sealed off... and rock solid to prevent wall flex.

Project [iBWALL]

Budget install - high efficiency - CRAZY LOWZ!

Sub-less Toyota Camry Sedan

134.7dB @ 52Hz... off the back shelf... and NO SUBS!!!

Posted

Next session:

Foam clean up

imag0404rp.jpg

imag0405z.jpg

imag0406l.jpg

imag0407u.jpg

imag0408h.jpg

imag0409g.jpg

imag0410v.jpg

imag0411b.jpg

OK... template is set.... now... time to face reality... we are about to mount 8 x 15s in a workhorse!!! :/

imag0413m.jpg

WHAT THE FACK!?!?!

imag0414l.jpg

imag0415h.jpg

imag0416y.jpg

Trial fit time...

imag0421n.jpg

imag0423zf.jpg

imag0425q.jpg

imag0427k.jpg

Looks pretty damn intimidating!!! But nevertheless.... loving the look of the progress so far! :)

Project [iBWALL]

Budget install - high efficiency - CRAZY LOWZ!

Sub-less Toyota Camry Sedan

134.7dB @ 52Hz... off the back shelf... and NO SUBS!!!

Posted

After we ripped out the wall, I started on sealing the side of the wall off from the cabin...

imag0429w.jpg

... then Eric ran his wiring harness for his Behringer processor (which will be roofmounted eventually)

imag0430i.jpg

imag0431o.jpg

OK.... roof liner work.

imag0511s.jpg

And me back into the side wall seal..... PAIN IN THE REAR!!!!

imag0512sd.jpg

imag0513vk.jpg

imag0514t.jpg

imag0515t.jpg

I then took a breather and started having some fun with the wall baffles :)

imag0516pk.jpg

imag0518i.jpg

imag0519np.jpg

imag0520qx.jpg

Eric then carpetted the side wall seals while I was on the router with the wall.

imag0521r.jpg

Looking clean :)

Project [iBWALL]

Budget install - high efficiency - CRAZY LOWZ!

Sub-less Toyota Camry Sedan

134.7dB @ 52Hz... off the back shelf... and NO SUBS!!!

Posted

imag0522cm.jpg

imag0524o.jpg

imag0525ln.jpg

imag0526e.jpg

imag0530n.jpg

^^^ This little piece is never seen.... but REALLY needed, and you'll be shown were it goes later. I quickly fixed this up for Eric to carpet also.

imag0531a.jpg

imag0537p.jpg

imag0538d.jpg

imag0539o.jpg

imag0532p.jpg

imag0540e.jpg

This is where it goes. Behind the passenger seat. It is where the door latches onto the inside of the van opening. That needed sealing (and clearance at the same time)

imag0528si.jpg

And that's how all the side wall seal comes together :)

Project [iBWALL]

Budget install - high efficiency - CRAZY LOWZ!

Sub-less Toyota Camry Sedan

134.7dB @ 52Hz... off the back shelf... and NO SUBS!!!

Posted

OK, trimming pics. This is Eric in action, while I was on the router doing the baffles.

10082012006.jpg

10082012005.jpg

imag0536g.jpg

imag0535e.jpg

imag0534n.jpg

imag0533b.jpg

Coming along JUST fine :)

11082012010.jpg

This part sucked a$$!

11082012014.jpg

Shot bearing on the router bit. Back to Bunnings I go. I was able to buy a 13mm bearing for it so it worked out a quick and cheap repair. PLAY ON!!!

imag0542a.jpg

imag0543g.jpg

imag0544p.jpg

imag0545c.jpg

imag0546r.jpg

imag0547pg.jpg

Project [iBWALL]

Budget install - high efficiency - CRAZY LOWZ!

Sub-less Toyota Camry Sedan

134.7dB @ 52Hz... off the back shelf... and NO SUBS!!!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1464 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...