Second Skin Audio

how to get the most out of my 12

Jbiddle530

hi guys i have a jl 12w3v3 that i am going to put in my nissan 300zx i am just looking for some ideas on what kind of box i should do i want good quality that gets loud and has really good freq responce.. im thinking i wanna do a 4th or 6th order bandpass but i dont really know where to start can any one give me some front and rear volumes and tuning specs for my sub in a 6th order. any help would be greatly appreciated. i am running the sub off of a boston acoustic gt-2200 800 rms @ 4 ohms gain set with DSO no clipping what so ever

Have you ever built anything box wise before? I wouldn't suggest starting on a 6th or 4th even without experience. A simple ported enclosure tuned to mid 30s would give a great sound in that car. 3 door hatchbacks(such as your car) are easy to get loud and to sound great. If you're really itching to try a 4th order, go with around a 2:1 ratio as a rule of thumb. Tuning a 4th can get a little tricky and even trickier to get a 6th right. The whole point of doing those types of enclosures is not for LOUDNESS, but rather a flatter response curve over the frequency bandwitdh.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

you dont have any experience with a 4th or 6th order, yet you want one? you have to realize that there is tons of testing and tuning to do with those types of boxes. you can literally build 5-6 completely different boxes, and still not get desired results.

pro tip, stay with regular ported boxes.

edit: what is a DSO? and its completely impossible for you to say that you have 0 clipping. if you play a song that has even the slightest amount of clipping, guess what, you're clipping.

a DSO is an oscilloscope. which lets you see live wave form as your adjusting so you can see right where the clipping point is on your amp on a test tone.

and i did just decide to build a ported box 2.5 cubes 30 hz. sounds pretty good but yeah just like all the other ported boxes i have made so its whatever...

Archived