2010 HHR. tweeters, mids, crossover, amp help wanted.

wellington

Ok so here is the situation:

I've got 1 tweeter in each a-pillar (stock) with a cap on each, so no need for a crossover with these. and for the time being, they sound good IMO.

I tried running them with a crossover and they just sound TERRIBLE. I assume this is due to the cap...

I've got the stock mids and overall, everyone has complimented the setup being powered by a sony xm 4045.

I bought a sony xec-700 for $30 because I figured I would need it for other tweeters, and I had blown a few vifa tweets from ebay (over all only $20 total for 3 of them since they were the last ones and were not packaged correctly. one was my fault, the other 2 were basically DOA)

I plan to run both tweeters on the XEC and cross them about 2.4 or whatever is the second setting (most vifa's I've looked up in my price/wattage rating usually start at 777-1200k frequency range)

Each mid and tweeter is bridged together somewhere between the back of the head unit and the tweeter/mid.

I tried running one tweeter and one mid on its own channel from the amp with one on high pass and the other on the mid output from the crossover. For some reason, I needed to turn the tweeter output to max on the crossover and the mid on about 25% for them to be equal.

I would say that I don't need a crossover for this setup, but will be using it for any other tweeters I get.

The guy I bought the xec700 from has an xm 4040 which has a slightly higher RMS rating per channel, but also has 4 channels of high pass instead of the 2 HP and 2 LP like the 4045 does.

I am wondering what is a decent price for this amp. I was bidding on an xm 4045 and it sold for about $20 + $15 shipping and is only slightly less powerful than the 4040, so I figure it would only really be worth maybe $30 + shipping via ebay?

I am open to any comments or suggestions regarding anything I have posted. I am new to tweeters and crossovers so I really have limited knowledge on the matter.

2010 HHR LT - DNX 6160 - sony xec-700 - sony xm-4040 for door mids - XM-6020 for tweets in a-pillar - saz1500d v1 - VVME RD-12 1.75 f^3 32hz

guru and president of the "cheap asses trying to beat up the block with bargain bin woofers" club

Ditch the garbage and start with some good gear, not trying to be a jerk but just being honest about it.

Get some good components and a really nice amp to power them with and you'll be miles ahead of what you currently have, and will enjoy much more.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Ditch the garbage and start with some good gear, not trying to be a jerk but just being honest about it.

Get some good components and a really nice amp to power them with and you'll be miles ahead of what you currently have, and will enjoy much more.

What did you have in mind?

I'm pretty satisfied with everything now. Only plans were to get some better tweeters.

2010 HHR LT - DNX 6160 - sony xec-700 - sony xm-4040 for door mids - XM-6020 for tweets in a-pillar - saz1500d v1 - VVME RD-12 1.75 f^3 32hz

guru and president of the "cheap asses trying to beat up the block with bargain bin woofers" club

To be honest the better the speakers and amplifier you have the better it really does sound, you will hear parts in the music you really never hear with lower quality speakers.

I am personally biased towards the hertz brand and would recommend them over many others but they aren't the only ones capable. I have heard focal's lower offering that sounded amazing for what they cost but they will not take the power the higher end ones will, and that is pretty much the case with most higher end companies speakers.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

I don't know if I want to spend more than $100 on tweeters.

The $15 vifas I tried were amazing.

How much better would mid ranges be vs stock? I don't see how they really do much in terms of sound quality.

I've never really heard a decent SQ setup in person.

Also do I need to seal off the tweeters/mids?

Archived