Second Skin Audio

JL 12w3v3-4 -- what's it worth now?

wellington

I can't sell mine, so I figure I will get 3 more and run in 1 ohm to my saz1500d

Clearly we all know JL is overpriced and the nut huggers are not gonna want to let these go for a fair price.

But what are they really worth now? Especially considering they are the lower models and only 500w rms and 12mm Xmax. I got mine new for $250 but clearly not even worth half that now.

Also, would it be better to go with 2 in 2 ohm 800w rms or 4 in 1 ohm 1500w rms? Keep in mind I'm on stock electrical and not gonna add an alternator or a battery.

2010 HHR LT - DNX 6160 - sony xec-700 - sony xm-4040 for door mids - XM-6020 for tweets in a-pillar - saz1500d v1 - VVME RD-12 1.75 f^3 32hz

guru and president of the "cheap asses trying to beat up the block with bargain bin woofers" club

I'm a JL fan, and I wouldn't pay more than about $30 for a used one if its in good shape.

A friend of mine had 2 since like 2001 and we just replaced them with some AB XO 12's. The suspension is completely worn out on them but they still work. Going to make a garage box and keep using them lol.

....Oh crap. Just saw you were talking about the V3 models. Maybe $40-60 depending on condition? You could buy a new comparable sub for prob around $75-100

2012 North American Street Stock Runner-up - 150.9 on 1800 clamped watts (Teammate)
2013 dB Drag Street Trunk World Champion - 153.9 on 3200 clamped Watts (Teammate)
2013 MECA Trunk 1 World Champion - 152.8 Headrest (Teammate)
2013 MECA Park & Pound 2 World Champion - 130.6 (Teammate)

Checkout our build and videos !! : ) 150+ Trunk Build Log itsgordy1 youtube channel (click for Hairtricks)

Smith's Custom Seats
Martinsburg, PA

(Second Skin Dealer)

I a JL fan, and I wouldn't pay more than about $30 for a used one if its in good shape.

A friend of mine had 2 since like 2001 and we just replaced them with some AB XO 12's. The suspension is completely worn out on them but they still work. Going to make a garage box and keep using them lol.

....Oh crap. Just saw you were talking about the V3 models. Maybe $40-60 depending on condition? You could buy a new comparable sub for prob around $75-100

That last part is exactly my point. But the JL name is notorious for being better than best buys kicker/alpine/kenwood/pioneer stuff and looks better as well and that's why I think the assumed value is so high.

Anyone who knows any underground brands knows how over priced they are.

Not gonna lie, I would never let it go for $60 considering it's in great shape and never abused, and has low hours on it. That's why I am thinking of getting more. I am also thinking of getting equal subs (wattage, cube requirement, etc) but prefer to have matching gear.

Thanks for the feedback

2010 HHR LT - DNX 6160 - sony xec-700 - sony xm-4040 for door mids - XM-6020 for tweets in a-pillar - saz1500d v1 - VVME RD-12 1.75 f^3 32hz

guru and president of the "cheap asses trying to beat up the block with bargain bin woofers" club

Heh. offered the guy $60 for the sub and he got visibly upset. then he started to call all the stuff I had to trade "junk" and started bragging about his 2 w7's and 1000/1 amp and asking if that makes him a car audio enthusiast...

I guess I will try to just find matching spec's for additional subs because I have a feeling other than websites like this, I won't find anyone different who understands the price/performance/quality ratio like we do.

edit: this is getting good

"take an economic class. its all about market price, not what it's worth. JL is expensive because of quality and reliability"

W7's and 1000/1's are some very good equipment though. I just think the lower level stuff is not all that much to brag about. I have owned W0's, W3v2's, W6's and W7's so I know my JL. It is just hard to say that you should spend $200+ on a W3 level sub when you can get the performance of a W6 for about the same cost from other brands.

A friend of mine on here has 2 W7's and 2 1000/1's that are almost 10 years old and he still competes with them. Never had a recone. I see people reconing "insert popular interent brand here" subs all the time. To me, this makes them worth their price tag. Long life, high output, very good sound, sexy woofer.

2012 North American Street Stock Runner-up - 150.9 on 1800 clamped watts (Teammate)
2013 dB Drag Street Trunk World Champion - 153.9 on 3200 clamped Watts (Teammate)

Checkout our build and videos !! : ) 150+ Trunk Build Log itsgordy1 youtube channel (click for Hairtricks)

Smith's Custom Seats
Martinsburg, PA

(Second Skin Dealer)

You will not find a sub "equal' enough to that W3 to run in the same setup. Either sell it or get more of them.

After rethinking my price. I would maybe pay $100 no more than $125 for a used V3 in great shape.

If you look at Sound Solutions Audio drivers for example. The W3 fits somewhere between the DCON and the GCON with the GCON being better in most everyone's book. The GCON sells new for $200. The DCON sells new for $125 and honestly would probably be comparable to a W3 though I have never heard one of the DCON's.

I just cant get by the stamped basket.....and a $250 price tag lol. This coming from a guy who used to love his 2 W3's on a Tantrum 500.1 amp lol.

Smith's Custom Seats
Martinsburg, PA

(Second Skin Dealer)

Exactly. The basket is so cheap. It's kinda hard trying to buy another one and at the same time, try to explain how all the underground brands are much better in terms of basically everything...

Most people just think price = quality and JL's aesthetics and high market price don't help this situation.

I heard some older v2's in a dodge neon and I swear it sounded like a couple 15's. And they were in a sealed box on less than 500w rms. I guess cars are different but still...pretty impressive.

I have literally thousands to trade and the guy still wouldn't take less than $130 for the sub.

Guess I'll just wait it out...so much more out there for that price. not even worth it.

Archived