scooter99 Posted November 27, 2012 Report Posted November 27, 2012 So I have this little project I've been working on with my alpine head unit. It's an Alpine CDA-9886 and I've been working on a way to extend the face plate on it. I've figured out a way, however, I'm no longer wanting to use this Alpine unit, I'm looking to use a Pioneer unit now, the DEH-9400BT or the new DEH-P9500BHS. What I need is to find out from someone who has one, what the back of the inside plastic piece looks like. Not the face plate, but the black plastic piece that attaches to the metal body. This is the part I'm talking about on my Alpine unit: And this is what it looks like taken off, and the back side of that plastic piece. The Alpine unit has a couple of screws holding it on from the sides and then came off with some love. What I'm interested in are pictures of the back of that piece as well as the front of the body. Here's a picture of the Alpine unit. You can see it has a board on the back of the plastic piece with a male plug that plugs into the body, another plug that's female. I'm also guessing this is all the same for most of the other last years and newer pioneer units as well. Thanks guys for any help. Facebook Page: S99Creations 2006 F250 Lariat Build
Chris Hammer Posted November 27, 2012 Report Posted November 27, 2012 Not trying to sway you but why extend the faceplate? if its too far recessed in your dash why not make a mount to position the whole head unit forward whatever amount you need it to be? Just a thought not telling you what to do...im subbed in just to see where this goes and in for pics. MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild***** Vehicles 2005 GMC Canyon CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.) crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it. CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg Sold to: Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585 Shower farts still piss me off.I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.
scooter99 Posted November 27, 2012 Author Report Posted November 27, 2012 I'm putting a tablet in my dash and I don't actually have room for it. I was going to put it in the glove box, and just leave it there, but it's not really sitting well with me. I want to be able to see it for volume purposes etc. So my thought was to put the brain in the glove box so I can still play a cd if desired, but customize a pod in the ceiling above the rear view mirror to hold the faceplate. Don't need to touch it cause I have steering wheel controls. Just be able to see it. But like I said, I have the Alpine unit, but I want to switch to the Pioneer Units cause I like the looks of them better. And since this is about looks more than function, I'd like to be able to make it look good. Facebook Page: S99Creations 2006 F250 Lariat Build
Chris Hammer Posted November 28, 2012 Report Posted November 28, 2012 I'm putting a tablet in my dash and I don't actually have room for it. I was going to put it in the glove box, and just leave it there, but it's not really sitting well with me. I want to be able to see it for volume purposes etc. So my thought was to put the brain in the glove box so I can still play a cd if desired, but customize a pod in the ceiling above the rear view mirror to hold the faceplate. Don't need to touch it cause I have steering wheel controls. Just be able to see it. But like I said, I have the Alpine unit, but I want to switch to the Pioneer Units cause I like the looks of them better. And since this is about looks more than function, I'd like to be able to make it look good. Thats gonna be awesome. I don't have those models or I would take it apart for you. Im sure you can mod them too....if theres a will theres a way. How where you planning on doing the alpine? MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild***** Vehicles 2005 GMC Canyon CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.) crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it. CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg Sold to: Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585 Shower farts still piss me off.I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.
scooter99 Posted November 28, 2012 Author Report Posted November 28, 2012 In the pictures above, you'll see the plastic part that comes off. It has a board on it and that board plugs into the female plug on the body. The board has resistors on it, that bring the voltage down between it and the faceplate only allowing me to get a couple of feet out of it. I've tested this. However, if I can solder direct leds to the plugs, I should be able to get enough length to put the body/brain, in the glove box or wherever, and then I'm planning to make a nice flush mount pod in the ceiling above the rear view mirror for the faceplate and that plastic front with the board in it. This way everything functions properly, and I can still listen to cd's if I want and it can all go back together if I ever need it to. After the wires are soldered on, I'll run them out of the back, to a pig tail that I can make an extension that will plug into it. THen I can do the same for the face plate end, and then plug it in when it's all done. Just install ease so I don't have to run a long bundle up around the glass etc. I can do it all, then plug in the unit when ready and same for the pod. To clean it up, I'll install a fake or blank front piece without the board. Then it will just look like a unit without a faceplate. But like I said before, I'd like to go with the pioneer units instead of this alpine. I just like the looks of them better than this alpine. But in order to do that I need to know what it looks like behind that piece so I know if it's built the same way or not. Facebook Page: S99Creations 2006 F250 Lariat Build
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.