CPU/GPU running very hot on BF3

My MSI laptop runs hot when I game, that's a given fact...but, running HWMonitor this morning while playing BF3, all 4 cores are peaking out at 93-98* C, with my GPU peaking out at 88*C...that's with the MSI turbo boost software (OC'ing) and the cooling fan sped up. I wonder if it's worth having the thermal paste reapplied would help dissipate the heat better. I've been having alot of problems with sudden frame drops in Battlefield 3, which alot of other people have had problems with the framerates dropping (I average anywhere between 40-60 depending on what settings I use) and no matter what settings I use, the frames will drop to 10-25fps for approx. 10-15 seconds, then jump back up...no indication as of yet if it's the CPU or GPU throttling down.

POTATO!

holy MOTHER FUCKING SHIT.

get a coolilng pad or something for the laptop.

what surface are you setting the laptop down on?

is the laptop exhaust clogged with stuff?

and yeah, your cpu is getting throttled at 98C for sure if its a sandy bridge or ivy bridge.

09 Civic EX

KDC-X395

(2) SKAR Audio VVX-12

Skar Audio SK-1500.1

4 cu ft @32 (new box and more port soon)

Firing Forward not sealed off

Stock 80 Amp Alt

Big 3 In 1/0 Knu

2 Runs To The Back 1 Pos 1 Neg In 1/0 Knu

DD-1'd 13.8v drop

holy MOTHER FUCKING SHIT.

get a coolilng pad or something for the laptop.

what surface are you setting the laptop down on?

is the laptop exhaust clogged with stuff?

and yeah, your cpu is getting throttled at 98C for sure if its a sandy bridge or ivy bridge.

Would make sense. I know laptops run hotter (yes, this is an MSI laptop), but stil...processor is an Intel 2670QM (I believe it is Sandy Bridge), and a GeForce 560M GPU. It's on a plastic laptop stand, I've blown the vents out several times, but I'm thinking it's probably the paste going bad. It shouldn't throttle back that bad...I have a friend who can open it up and reapply the paste.

POTATO!

in very very VERY rare situations it could be the paste i guess, ive only had to replace the paste on my desktop once in the past 4 years that ive had it and thats cause i saw my temps hit 60C.

is the plastic laptop stand got holes in it for the laptop to breathe? or is it solid? more details please

09 Civic EX

KDC-X395

(2) SKAR Audio VVX-12

Skar Audio SK-1500.1

4 cu ft @32 (new box and more port soon)

Firing Forward not sealed off

Stock 80 Amp Alt

Big 3 In 1/0 Knu

2 Runs To The Back 1 Pos 1 Neg In 1/0 Knu

DD-1'd 13.8v drop

in very very VERY rare situations it could be the paste i guess, ive only had to replace the paste on my desktop once in the past 4 years that ive had it and thats cause i saw my temps hit 60C.

is the plastic laptop stand got holes in it for the laptop to breathe? or is it solid? more details please

It has ridges, sort of like a sine wave. Anyways, we ended up replacing the paste, and it was definitely dried up...applied some Arctic Silver paste to both the CPU and GPU, gave it an hour, and was only reaching 80* on the CPU and 70-75* on the GPU. No frame drops now.

POTATO!

It's the paste in a lot of cases. OEM paste is absolute shit. Reapply some nice thermal paste on the chips.

Edit: Didn't read above post. But good to see it's fixed.

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

MSI Afterburner only OC's the GPU.

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

No, it's not Afterburner, although I did install that, that's not what it is. MSI has some "turbo" software on here, there's a button on the computer to activate the "Turbo" mode and to activate the fans. Of course I did learn you can upgrade the CPU and GPU in this laptop pretty easily...

POTATO!

Well I'm still having problems with the processor spiking at (literally) 100* during play, partially due to the airflow issues, but still runs hot. I'm starting to wonder if I should purchase an Ivy Bridge CPU, and get as fast as I can, or if it would still have problem distributing heat, even though the processor would be working a bit more efficiently...

POTATO!

Archived