Second Skin Audio

Plexisglass window for enclosure help

Joshex

i used 1" on my box but it has a large window. we have used 3/4 with no issues also. And if your windows are small enough like those pictures then i would say 1/2" would be ok but make sure you use foam gasket tape and screw the heck out of it. And from the posts above, i believe lexan is more flexible than plexi because plexi is not very flexabe at all unless it is heated and bent. And dont quote me on this but i do not believe lexan is repairable if scratched. plexi can be torched to clear the edges and can also be wet sanded and buffed out if it is ever scratched depending on the type of plexi you use

Thank you for the input, I figured it would have to make some gasket. My main question now is, what sort of mount/securing would be best? Never worked with this stuff before so I have no clue if one screw type would be better than another. I was thinking doing like Steve did and doing the thread nut method maybe?

SMD_zps84fd99a2.jpg
95 Acura Integra - 5-speed
NFG thumb.gif
Pioneer FH-X700BT
(2) Rockford Fosgate 12" P3
AQ1200d
Rockford Fosgate P1652-S 6.5" components
Rockford Fosgate P1572 5x7"
Rockford Fosgate R400.4

95 Integra Build Here
93 EJ2 Build Here

• 3 weeks later...

there are a million different methods that can be used. I screwed it right into my mdf with a bunch of wood screws on my box but i was going right into the mdf so i was able to run 2.5" screws. make sure you pre drill and definitely slightly over size your plexi piece so the screws do not grab and crack the plexi. on inserts like you showed usually use t-nuts or something similar in the inside and then just bolt on. this method is nice because you can remove the insert and remount it multiple times without worrying about stripping out the mdf. just make sure you drill everything straight down so it all lines up right and not at an angle. hope this helped a little

Thanks for all the help guys. I will probably attempt this with the next month or two.

SMD_zps84fd99a2.jpg
95 Acura Integra - 5-speed
NFG thumb.gif
Pioneer FH-X700BT
(2) Rockford Fosgate 12" P3
AQ1200d
Rockford Fosgate P1652-S 6.5" components
Rockford Fosgate P1572 5x7"
Rockford Fosgate R400.4

95 Integra Build Here
93 EJ2 Build Here

Archived