A debate on exhaust. What is it?

What is the TRUE meaning of exhaust from an engine?

My friend thinks exhaust pipes get the name "EXHAUST" pipes because of the action they do. He thinks the restrictions that the resonator, catalytic converter, mufflers, etc. do to the "gases" give it the name EXHAUST. Because it 'exhaust's the gases. I tried to tell him this is wrong...

I told him GASOLINE is put into the engine, then COMBUSTION takes place, where EMISSIONS are EXHAUSTED from the engine, through the pipes. They're called "EXHAUST" pipes, because EXHAUST is what flows through them. Just like a WATER pipe is called a WATER pipe because water flows through it...

He thinks they got the name 'exhaust' because of "from the pipes limiting the emissions through a system that exhausts the supply of emissions"..

I know it's a dumb debate.. But what do you think?.. To me, it seems emissions are what have been EMITTED from something. Aka, exhaust in this case. The carbon/nitrogen oxides etc..

Any input is appreciated ;)

146_1007_10_z+literbike_mods+akrapovic_evolution_exhaust.jpg

I agree^

I'd also say that your friend has an interesting perspective on it. I wouldn't have thought of it that way. So I give him kudos for that, but he's still wrong. :D

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon Pioneer 9400BH Fi Q 15, SAZ1500dV3

The first build>>> http://www.stevemead...-outback-build/

140.9 @ 36hz Sealed on dash!

REBUILT!!! 2 Fi Q 15s, 2 SAZ1500dv3 146.9 @ 39hz dBDRA certified

Archived