Sonic Electronix

Cost of power - then and now. (watts on the dollar)

folks nowadays want some of that "just pour me some in my hand" prices for real wattage amps & those amps were beasts, classic amps for us I know about them I'll be 37 this year amp's are about as old as some of the members here LOL

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

William - Metter,Ga. Dad, Self Installer/Fabricator & Repair Tech, Weightlifter, Motivator,

Team SKAR Audio Captain, Team Deadly Hertz Georgia Leader
99 Toyota 4Runner SR5, "Rolling Thunder"
Daily Driven, No Wall, C-Pillar Build, BASS LIFE!
2K16 SBN MECA Park and Pound DB3 Champion
2K16 SBN ISPLL Real SPL Class F Champion
Second Skin Damplifier Pro, Kenwood eXcelon KDC X498, Clarion EQ, Knukonceptz RCA's
The Big 3, Sky High Car Audio OFC & Kicker Hyperflex Silver Tinned 1/0 Gauge
Singer 340a Alt, Northstar NSB-AGM31, SMSAGM480, 12 NessCaps Super Caps
Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty Line Driver, The Oval Port Tuned To 31 Hz, CNC Machined
4 SKAR ZVXv2 D2 15's, 2 SKAR SK-4500.1's, 4 SKAR PAX 6.5's, 2 SKAR LP-80.4's

SKAR_468x60.jpg

MEMBER OF THE YEAR 2013
16018870_large.jpg
If you don't have any haters, get some, best motivation there is...

I rarely post and I know Steve is just going by the posted power specs which were intentionally severely under-rated as the amp was measured at 10V with a 16 ohm load. He is also comparing old school to new school and class A/B to class D the Orions are class A/B amps I've had a 2100 HCCA I currently own a 2250 BEAST that needs repaired again :( (Yes I have pics just don't know how to post them) I've also got a fosgate T3000.1 and a pair of Soundstream 2500.1 Rubicons that I'm going to strap together in my explorer when I put in a wall currently has a pair of 15's on a "modified" Fosgate punch 800a2 (I measured just under 1400 watts out of that thing after select upgrades birth sheet put it at 1035) From personal experience as well as talking to Bernie Boland and Mark Busier the 2250 is almost the same amp as the 2100HCCA its a stretched version of the XTR2150 mixed with the HCCA2100 -basically the same amp minus the circuit that allows the lower ohm stability. To sum it up the 2 amps Steve mentioned the 2100 HCCA is the real world winner. Measured output of these amps is closer to 3500 watts when measured with todays standards by what the amp is realy capable of but what really gives it the knock the RF amp out drag it to the gutter and give it a curbie win is that it's doing this with class A/B circuitry not class D

0015.JPG

Since we're talking dollar per watt, 1 watt 2 channel amp, rated at 4 ohms, stable to something ungodly like 0.000625 ohms. THE cheater amp, around $2000/watt.

87' Astro Van (build in progress) (slowly)HU: Kenwood BT952HDAmps: BB2400.1(2), BB150.4Subs: Obsidian Audio 15 D2 V2 (4)Mids/Highs: Pioneer TSD 1602RWires: Sky High Car Audio/Audio Technics

I believe Orion also had a "1/2 x 2" @ 4

ohms cheater amp. I saw them in VW bug, turtle paint scheme, and a bunch of Orion 10s.

87' Astro Van (build in progress) (slowly)HU: Kenwood BT952HDAmps: BB2400.1(2), BB150.4Subs: Obsidian Audio 15 D2 V2 (4)Mids/Highs: Pioneer TSD 1602RWires: Sky High Car Audio/Audio Technics

I believe Orion also had a "1/2 x 2" @ 4

ohms cheater amp. I saw them in VW bug, turtle paint scheme, and a bunch of Orion 10s.

0015.JPG

Since we're talking dollar per watt, 1 watt 2 channel amp, rated at 4 ohms, stable to something ungodly like 0.000625 ohms. THE cheater amp, around $2000/watt.

I believe Orion also had a "1/2 x 2" @ 4 ohms cheater amp.

I've never known how much car amplifiers cost back in the day. This thread really changed my view on this subject. I always wait and look to see if I can find something cheaper elsewhere (as I am 20 and a college student) and grab something when I see it even below my price range. I bought a T1500-1bdCP for $330 new opened and didn't get the birthsheet, but say...330 / 1800 watts = about $0.18. That's really nice looking at it that way...thanks for facebooking this thread Steve!

Edited by FeelDaBass

'98 Chrysler Concorde LXi
Pioneer DEH-80PRS (HU/processing)
Rockford Fosgate T1652-S (components) for front
Rockford Fosgate T1693 (6x9s) for rear
Rockford Fosgate T600-4 running those
Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdCP running a

Rockford Fosgate T1D215 15"
in a 3.1 cu ft. net tuned to 34 hz (firing in cabin)
Kicker PKD1 (0 & 4 AWG)
stock 130 amp alt for now; One yellow top Optima
Installed everything myself & built box (brother helped)

Used a DD-1 to set gains.

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/165894-first-build-accumulated-since-i-was-14/

Just Pics: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/1463-chrysler-concorde-lxi/?tab=images