Second Skin Audio

LEDs on subs

Bradprobert

I don't want quite that much light on the box though... I was thinking if I wired it so the lights were wired into the subs themselves then that would be kinda cool and I could have lights that actually showed when that particular sub was hitting... that would be pretty cool I think lol

Thanks I was pretty excited about the alt myself. kind of like a school girl, in a dress, on a swing. lol

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

My Build Log

The best option is to get an LED controller.

The LED strips have resistors built into them that are designed for 12v.

Connecting to an amp output could pulse much higher voltage and damage the resistors/LEDs.

Just because they initially work, it doesn't mean they aren't being damaged over time.

Diodes usually fail "short" which is not good on a device that is not fused and directly connected to a high current supply (amplifier).

LED controllers are cheap and give you lots of options for different pulsing patterns and adjustable brightness.

very true, i mean who knew if i kept them in there for ever on that initial setup, thanks for the explanation
Sure thing. :good:

I'm not saying that directly connecting to an amp is always a bad thing.

Depends on the internal voltage rails of the amp.

Some smaller amps may work fine, but larger ones could be trouble.

Another thing to remember is that an amp outputs an AC signal.

LEDs (diodes) only conduct in one direction so you're really only getting light on half your sound wave.

A controller should react to a signal in both directions.

Probly not a big deal as half-wave may be plenty of light but something to think about....

More to think about.

LED controllers have either small microphones, audio jacks or both.

Be careful with the little microphones if you mount them in close proximity to your sub-box.

The higher SPL could damage the microphone.

I had a controller that flaked out for that reason.

Is it just any LED controller? I would like to add more LEDs to my new system I am getting, But as you said it may create problems later on. I only used the 2 led pods on a Alpine Mrp-1000 at 2 ohms. The new system will be substantially bigger than what I had. Any chance on a link? If you could also direct me to some LEDs that would pulse that would be good also.

Try a google search for "sound activated LED controller".

There are tons online.

I've bought a couple different IR versions and an RF (remote control type).

They're all relatively similar but there are some feature differences depending on what you want.

I'm on mobile and I can't recall where I got mine, possibly eBay if nothing else.

I'll dig around and get back to you.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

I don't want quite that much light on the box though... I was thinking if I wired it so the lights were wired into the subs themselves then that would be kinda cool and I could have lights that actually showed when that particular sub was hitting... that would be pretty cool I think lol

Great thing about those LED strips is that you can literally cut them to any length you want!

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

lol yea that's awesome... I really think I might do this next time I upgrade my subs lol

Thanks I was pretty excited about the alt myself. kind of like a school girl, in a dress, on a swing. lol

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

My Build Log

Hooking up LEDs directly to your speaker terminals is like maxing out the gain because it "works"

I don't understand? It worked for 4 years without any ill effects to anything to my system and the LEDs still work perfectly.

It worked because you aint loud son! :P

Would putting the wires for the lights into the subs instead of the terminals on the amp make any difference as to how much juice is going to them?

My Build Log

Would putting the wires for the lights into the subs instead of the terminals on the amp make any difference as to how much juice is going to them?

Please dont do either. if you must have leds get a sound module.

but then it isn't actually connected to the sub itself... I want them partially so I can see when each sub hits... so like if for whatever reason the subs aren't in phase with eachother for example I can actually see it

My Build Log

but then it isn't actually connected to the sub itself... I want them partially so I can see when each sub hits... so like if for whatever reason the subs aren't in phase with eachother for example I can actually see it

Direct wire a module to each signal wire.

Why would that matter? If they get the same signal they should be in phase.. If they arent getting the same signal then if you dont have the right equipment to set it up why are they in the same box?

On the whole LED thing, seriously do not plug your led light crap into the amplifier terminals! The audio equipment is for just that, audio, if you hook lights up to the terminals (some idiots will always argue that it'll work) you are forcing the equipment to do things it was not designed to do. Your amplifier and subs WILL feel those LEDs on that line and although you dont notice, it will do damage. The engineers that designed that subwoofer and amplifier are a hell of a lot smarter than you and they designed it for AUDIO, not redneck wiring. Just buy a light module and set up your system correctly and you wont have a problem, no need to see if your woofers are "in phase" and no need to rig wiring incorrectly. Spend the little bit extra and do it right the FIRST time.

...end of rant...

2006 Silverado Ext. Cab

6-15" SSA ZCONS

4th Order Blow-Through

Pioneer AVH-P4200dvd

American Bass VFL 1100.1 12 volt

6 C&D Batteries

2-350A Singer Alternators and Stock Alt

DC Power Triple Alt Kit

MLA Module

3 Runs of 1/0

2 Sets of Boston Acoustics 6.5 Pro Components