Question for Mazda 3 -- Mazda guys/installers get in here!

mrd6

I am in the planning stages of a whole SQ build in my friends 2012 Mazda 3.

My question is: how good is the factory head unit with the "Bose Premium Sound" package as a high quality signal source?

He wants to run everything off of the stock headunit and have as stealth of an install as possible. It already has cd, ipod, blue tooth blah blah blah, so feature wise it is not bad. Originally I was planning on taking the signal from the rear of the unit and running it through a signal processor like a 360.3 /ms-8 etc whatever we can get the best deal on and running that out to the remainder of the system.

With the quality of components we are using and the goal of a true SQ install, is the head unit signal going to be the weakest link and cause a noticable reduction in sound quality? If so, is there a way around that I am not thinking of short of installing a new deck?

Team NorthWestSPL

If you're using a processor such as the 360.3 the stock HU shouldn't be an issue since the 360.3 is going to reproduce the signal for you anyway. That's my understanding of incorporating a processor of that caliber into any system.

2013 Dodge Charger

Build Log

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0
Build Log

2005 Honda Civic LX Coupe

Build Log

SMD SUPER SELLER!!!!
My Selling Feedback

Dresig1_zps7acbddbb.gif

Dresig2_zpscfb11527.gif

My guess would be the head unit is probably fine. You're going to want to bypass the bose system. From what I understand, you don't want that amplified signal going to the processor. You want your processor to have full control. I'll tell you what, a great great person for installing sq is Bing. His screen name here is Simplicityinsound I'm telling you he's an encyclopedia of SQ knowledge and he's most likely done the car you're working on and can give you some tips. Tell him Scooter99 sent you his way to get some info.

Reproduce the signal as in repair? I guess my though is that if the stock unit already has a bit of noise or a poor pass band then there is no real way for the processor to magically make it better. I mean the capabilities of the processor will be able to make it sound better but if the startng source is poor there is only so much you can do right?

Thanks scooter, i'll send him a pm on the topic. I'm sure he's done a few mazda 3s, i feel like they are pretty common.

Feel free to keep posting though if anyone else has thoughts, thanks guys!

Team NorthWestSPL

• 4 weeks later...

I'm at a similar point as mrd6, except I own the car - a 2013 mazda3 hatchback (no bose) that I want to upgrade in an SQ way. Head unit sq is a big question mark? Can someone with experience with this hu put his .02 in...

Would be interested! I never got anywhere with this either. I talked with my friend and he just wants to go ahead and try it anyways. I figure the 360.3 has other aux inputs I could use to bypass the HU entirely if really necessary

Team NorthWestSPL

Archived