Sonic Electronix

New to car audio! Need some insight!

lol my absolute first amp was your amp's little brother :P I had the 300w rms one lol and yea like everyone has said upgrading your electrical is big, not quite as big at what you're running now as it will be as you get bigger... but still big. and once you start upgrading your system I would say ditch the prefab box and build your own ;) they really aren't that terribly difficult as long as you know how to use a tape measure a table saw and glue lol at least that was my experience. if you think those polk sound amazing in a prefab they will sound even better in a custom. and polk is on the low end of subwoofers so if those sound that great imagine how some of the stuff they talk about around here will sound ;)

Thanks I was pretty excited about the alt myself. kind of like a school girl, in a dress, on a swing. lol

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

My Build Log

lol my absolute first amp was your amp's little brother :P I had the 300w rms one lol and yea like everyone has said upgrading your electrical is big, not quite as big at what you're running now as it will be as you get bigger... but still big. and once you start upgrading your system I would say ditch the prefab box and build your own ;) they really aren't that terribly difficult as long as you know how to use a tape measure a table saw and glue lol at least that was my experience. if you think those polk sound amazing in a prefab they will sound even better in a custom. and polk is on the low end of subwoofers so if those sound that great imagine how some of the stuff they talk about around here will sound ;)

I can only imagine the higher end stuff... I'll definitely get bigger better subs down the road. For now, this sounds pretty nice! I still notice a bit of light dimming when I have it cranked... nothing major. I figure a battery upgrade should do the trick.

“The fascination of flight can't be expressed with words. But it really lies beyond the capabilities of human endeavor. Once you've experienced it, you'll never be able to forget it.” - Friedrich Oblessor

yea probably a battery should be enough to handle what you got right now since just putting in a diehard platinum in my car did the trick for my 1800w amp... though from what I've been told if you're only upgrading the battery and not the alternator then don't run it just full blast all the time cuz then you're draining your battery pretty good and the battery is draining faster than the alt can charge it so if you never give the alt a chance to charge your battery some then you will get to the point where you're running your subs straight from the alt basically and your battery is all but empty... can make for problems down the road and if you run it like that for long periods of time like for a long trip or something it will wear the shit out of your alt and probably do some damage to the battery too... if I'm off on this anywhere someone please chime in but at least in my head the logic seems sound lol

that's probably why you'll have people saying it's good to upgrade the alt first then the battery. Snafu seems to know alot about this stuff and he also provides a discount to SMD members if you want to buy a big 3 kit from him :P he could probably tell you more about it and fill in any holes I left.

Thanks I was pretty excited about the alt myself. kind of like a school girl, in a dress, on a swing. lol

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

My Build Log

The big3 is cheaper than a battery. I would do it before anything.
You may not need a second batt with this "little" amplifier. Just the big3.

Get a small voltmeter to check the voltage in your car, while running & blasting :)

You should read between 13....v and 14.....v while driving.

Good luck.

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

• 2 weeks later...

you could always buy a capacitor too. amazon has them cheap but they also have a kinetik battery that would help for around 60 dollars. they sell a good quality knukonceptz 4 gauge amp kit for 30. its actually closer to 2 gauge than 4. replaced my 8 gauge with it and noticed a big difference. it plus an extra agm battery had my 1200 rms soundstream bumping really happy. way overpowering my kickers. lol.

you could always buy a capacitor too. amazon has them cheap but they also have a kinetik battery that would help for around 60 dollars. they sell a good quality knukonceptz 4 gauge amp kit for 30. its actually closer to 2 gauge than 4. replaced my 8 gauge with it and noticed a big difference. it plus an extra agm battery had my 1200 rms soundstream bumping really happy. way overpowering my kickers. lol.

:popcorn2:

waits for the inevitable comments that are sure to follow

My Build Log

Lol my mom had this car with the JBL system and I blew both front speakers. Once you ditch the prefab you will be louder in the lower frequencies (if you tune it right) and it will sound a lot better.

Check out the big 3 for sure, it's cheap and easy. Grab a buddy if you're unsure of yourself.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/13280-how-to-do-the-big-3-tutorial/

what's a cap gonna do if you don't have proper electrical? you'll be much better doing the big 3 and getting another cheap battery in the trunk

all caps are to me are expensive voltmeters :P

Archived