My LGA 2011 Build

It was a desktop, not a server. Was a DB workstation, it also had 2 Crucial M4 256's on SATA3 in a RAID0. CrystalMark clocked it at 1100 meg/sec

I bought the NIC because I was having issues with onboard, that and it decreased my ping by about 10ms.

I've been in IT for about 11 years. Nothing really suprises me either.

Server hardware for a workstation..interesting..

If your latency decreased when you switched the card out, I highly doubt it was the card itself-and maybe an issue with your old NIC, or something you did differently..it could have been anything really, your ISP could have switched your node-or your DNS server if you were pinging a host and not an acutal IP could have been changed through the DHCP of your ISP..or one of the hops could have been updated between you and the server..fuck knows. You could have easily decreased major interference by just tossing some new ethernet cables around..

I've been playing with computers since I was 6 (IBM 286 woot woot)..started going on IRC when I was 7..but didn't get a real IT job until I was 21..I'm 23 now..

Also, Curcial M4s suck. Low write speeds, ugh. I'm also assuming by megs you meant megabytes..

We went with the M4's because of the reliablility. I tested about 30 different SSD's. The write speeds are still faster than any standard platter drive, and with the hardware based garbage collection, they where about 5x more reliable than anything I tested. We did over 30 tb read/write on each drive over the course of a week. The Crucial was the only thing than maintained read/write without having to zero out the drive. As far as the AData Vs the M4, I'll take the M4 any day of the week. I'd rather KNOW that I'm not going to loose data because cells went bad, which is most of the reason they're used in RAID. Unless you have the newer chipsets (some of our legacy desktops dont, and thats about 5000 of them) TRIM isnt supported in a RAID configuration.

As far as the nic, I changed drivers, settings, frames, jumbo frams, 4 different cables, new router, re-did my network DHCP, changed AD settings, blah blah blah. In the end, I got a new NIC.

I started on an apple IIe, programming basic.

I understand the apprehensiveness when talking to other "PC Techs". I would say about 80% have no idea wtf they're talking about. I'll just say this, I'm pretty good. :)

We went with the M4's because of the reliablility. I tested about 30 different SSD's. The write speeds are still faster than any standard platter drive, and with the hardware based garbage collection, they where about 5x more reliable than anything I tested. We did over 30 tb read/write on each drive over the course of a week. The Crucial was the only thing than maintained read/write without having to zero out the drive. As far as the AData Vs the M4, I'll take the M4 any day of the week. I'd rather KNOW that I'm not going to loose data because cells went bad, which is most of the reason they're used in RAID. Unless you have the newer chipsets (some of our legacy desktops dont, and thats about 5000 of them) TRIM isnt supported in a RAID configuration.

As far as the nic, I changed drivers, settings, frames, jumbo frams, 4 different cables, new router, re-did my network DHCP, changed AD settings, blah blah blah. In the end, I got a new NIC.

I understand the apprehensiveness when talking to other "PC Techs". I would say about 80% have no idea wtf they're talking about. I'll just say this, I'm pretty good. :)

Who is NIC???lol... I've only been in the game bout 8yrs .. Been out of it employment wise for almost a year fckin layoffs!!!

Nice setup BTW OP

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.

NIC = network interface controller.. (or card)

Thanks for the compliment!

If you're worried about losing data, why would you run just a raid0? I'd be running a mirrored raid10 or a raid01, not just simply a striped raid...I mean sure you can have nightly backups-rotate the drives it backs up to..but that's just a bit silly imo..

Haven't had any issues with my SSD (And I won't once I've setup a raid, as my bios supports trim, as you've mentioned)-although the M4 isn't the problem, it's the controller..you're not going to get the write speeds on that Marvell controller that you would on a SandForce..

PS: I work throughout NOVA DC & MD :morepower1:

Shyt! Why MD??? I honestly am looking in the NJ/NYC area :-( that would be sweet though to start making that money again... but thanks for the heads up .. is that the same company you work for?

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

Also was kidding about the NIC comment. Lol...

Shyt! Why MD??? I honestly am looking in the NJ/NYC area :-( that would be sweet though to start making that money again... but thanks for the heads up .. is that the same company you work for?

Yeah, same company. Usually at least 2.5% raise every year, and you start with a weeks vacation. Also if I vouch for you, you'll get the job. The cost of living is so low in hagerstown, you can rent a 3br apartment for around 800/month. Company is call First Data, check out job postings in firstdatajobs.com. They have an office in Mellville, not sure if there's openings there too. Shoot me a PM and I'll send you my number if you want to chat about it, dont want to threadjack :)

Archived