Active Head Units

Can anyone help me put together a list of head units for running an active setup. The only ones I hear about all the time are the Alpine 9887 and the Pioneer 880prs/800prs. I know Eclipse has one (7000 something) but I just want to see what all of my options are. I'm not looking for the best of the best but if the price is not too bad I'll probably consider it.

1998 Toyota Camry XLE V6Goldwood GW-S650/4 6.5sEA 200a alt2009 Lancer GTSStock jtte2o.gif

clarion drz 9255

I have 1 brand new cheap right now.

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

DRZ9255.jpg

Description:

Digging deep into the annals of its rich heritage, Clarion is bringing back a source unit that set the car audio scene ablaze during the mid to late ‘90s. For audiophiles, the DRX9255 was one of a select few source units to go down in car audio lore. Now, the DRX9255’s simple, yet elegant look, combined with its advanced sound reproduction capabilities, is captured in the DRZ9255. Harnessing a 96kHz sampling D/A converter, this high-quality source unit DC/DC converter unit delivers sound that’s true to life. And with its 5-band equalizer, the DRZ9255 provides the ultimate sound tuning capabilities. Everything starts with the unit’s glass epoxy four-layer circuit board, an essential component for achieving stable circuit driving. Simply put, this is the CD source unit that audiophiles have been waiting for, and one that Clarion has waited a long time to unveil.

Specifications:

Key Features:

Dual 24-Bit/96kHz Sampling DACs and DSP

Burr-Brown DACs

Plays CD-R and CD-RWs

Built-In 4-Way Crossovers (Subwoofer/Low/Mid/High)

5-Band Parametric Equalizer

Digital Time Alignment for Each Line Level Output

4V/8-Channel Gold-Plated Line Level Outputs (for SW/L/M/H or Front 2-Way/Rear/SW) With OFC Cables

Copper-Plated Chassis

DC /DC Converter

CeNET Control of Optional TV Tuner, DVD Changer and 6-Disc CD Changer

Multi-Changer Control

Two 2-Channel Aux. Inputs

Fiber Optic Input/Output

Vacuum Florescent Display

IR Remote Control

Line Level Output Only (Requires External Amplifier)

Radio Tuner With 18FM/6AM Presets

Ultra Precise Rotary Volume Control

Zinc Die-Cast Faceplate

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

well what do you want to do with your setup? do you want to get into SQ and set up time alignment and do all that stuff? i have the 880 and i absolutely love it, it has the potential to make almost any car sound great. Although auto eq and auto ta arent the best.. you still have the option to setup time alignment yourself and then also set up your eq for left and right. Also a cool feature about the 880 is that you can mute your lows mids and highs separately. so if you just want to hear your sub you can mute the highs and the mids. Do some looking around, there is a head to head comparison against the 880 and the 9887.

Too Much Stuff to list .

well what do you want to do with your setup? do you want to get into SQ and set up time alignment and do all that stuff? i have the 880 and i absolutely love it, it has the potential to make almost any car sound great. Although auto eq and auto ta arent the best.. you still have the option to setup time alignment yourself and then also set up your eq for left and right. Also a cool feature about the 880 is that you can mute your lows mids and highs separately. so if you just want to hear your sub you can mute the highs and the mids. Do some looking around, there is a head to head comparison against the 880 and the 9887.

I've already done a lot of research on the 880 and the 9887 including the review on diyma.com. I'm just trying to see what other options are out there. I'm not looking to go full sq yet. I'm just trying to get more control of my frontstage as far as crossovers go. I was already leaning towards the 880 until I saw the new 800prs :D

1998 Toyota Camry XLE V6Goldwood GW-S650/4 6.5sEA 200a alt2009 Lancer GTSStock jtte2o.gif

Archived